Recommendation for cordless self propelled 21” mower

ammodave

Threads
  • / Recommendation for cordless self propelled 21” mower
Currently using an older Honda HRX217HYA but would like to go cordless. Suction is important to remove pine needles, leaves, etc. Prefer to stay below $600 but would pay more for quality. Lawn is flat about 7,000 sq ft. Recommendations?

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
my suggestion is to see if Home Depot rents battery powered electric mowers and try a couple that look like what you might consider. Around here all the electric mowers lack the HP gasoline powered ones do. Just looking at HP alone, a 5 hp electric motor needs about 20 amps at 120V to make 5 hp. I don't know how you will get that out of any battery powered one, and none of the articles I can find actually address that issue. The articles all appear to be marketing driven, not actual spec driven. The 21" Makita one is quite heavy duty as it has 4 batteries but the blade only spins at 2300 RPM. A 21" gas mower would spin at 2900 - 3200 RPM.

Charlie8d

Threads
I love my Greenworks 21" self propelled 60V. BUT, I discharge the grass out of the side & have never tried to bag it. I have the mower, string trimmer, blower, hedge trimmer, chainsaw, & power convertor, so you see how much I like their products. Are you sure you only have 7000 sq. ft.?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Currently using an older Honda HRX217HYA but would like to go cordless. Suction is important to remove pine needles, leaves, etc. Prefer to stay below $600 but would pay more for quality. Lawn is flat about 7,000 sq ft. Recommendations?
Suction is important to remove pine needles, leaves, etc.
Snapper Hi-Vac 21" fire breathing gas engine. Cordless, check. Suction, best on planet Earth. Your grand kids kids kids will be mowing with it.

1652363444586.png

Jake8131

Threads
EGO or RYOBI.

I have had this one for 3 years with no problems. Same two batteries.

Attachments

• 71GLMR9AdKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    71GLMR9AdKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

ammodave

Threads
Took a chance and ordered the sef propelled Makita from HD. Hoping for the best.

axmanjay

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought an ECO 21" self propelled in 2019, mows my entire yard on 3/4 charge. When the grass is overgrown and thick it automatically speeds up and powers through. I love it, much more power than the Troy Bilt pos it replaced!

ammodave

Threads
Use the Makita for the first time; no where near the power of the Honda but I think it will be adequate. Four batteries will not do my lawn.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Use the Makita for the first time; no where near the power of the Honda but I think it will be adequate. Four batteries will not do my lawn.
maybe once they are charged again they will last longer. I had to charge my Toro weed wacker for a while when it was new. Battery was only about 50%

slinger2

Threads
There is no battery push mower currently that can match a good gas powered mower for power and suction. Battery mowers have thinner, lighter blades with much lower lift characteristics (lower sail) because this reduces the air resistance against the blade which helps with battery run time. And that is the goal of battery mowers: a compromise between run time and suction/mulching capability. Even ones that can mulch don't cut the grass clippings as fine as the better gas mulching mowers because of blade design and the availability of power with the gas engine for a longer run time. I've purchased 2 of the best rated battery self propelled mowers and am dissatisfied with both of them compared to my gas powered Toro. You are not going to find anything currently that can match the performance of your Honda in a battery mower.