Rebuilding a model 7266

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
It went for $88. Maybe that's not too bad but it was more than I wanted to spend. There are listings for Stens replacement pistons on ebay for $30-40. Are they any good or is it worth the extra $$$ for the oem?

Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard about the Stens pistons until now. It's good to know the option is there. I can't comment on their quality.

My approach to major parts is to constantly search for fairly cheap old mowers on CraigsList. I've got three LBs that I keep just for parts. Things have gotten tight on the Atlanta CL recently (the last year or so) and bargains are scarce.

DPI

Threads
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard about the Stens pistons until now. It's good to know the option is there. I can't comment on their quality.

My approach to major parts is to constantly search for fairly cheap old mowers on CraigsList. I've got three LBs that I keep just for parts. Things have gotten tight on the Atlanta CL recently (the last year or so) and bargains are scarce.

I wasn't sure if they are still making them or if they were old replacement parts. I just would like to get a new piston since mine is scored on both sides. Would have to take a pic of it and post it to get opinions but it looks borderline to reuse.

I will look at craigslist to see if I can find any compatible mowers for parts, thanks for the tip.:thumbsup:

DPI

Threads
Also, I found a source for lawn boy engine paint on ebay, but it is $11 + shipping for a 4.5 oz can. Anyone found a better source?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also, I found a source for lawn boy engine paint on ebay, but it is $11 + shipping for a 4.5 oz can. Anyone found a better source?

There has been at least one thread here in the LB forum where that was discussed and I remember that there's both official LB green and another, more common paint that's virtually the same.

If you saw my mowers you would understand that I haven't used any paint on them recently. :laughing:

Fireman123 will know this. If you search the forum you'll see pictures of LBs that he's restored that look mint. :thumbsup:

Wait! I just noticed that you said Engine paint... everything I wrote above applies to deck paint. I don't recall seeing paint on any LB engines.

Fireman 123

Threads
Thanks, but everything looks better in picture form haha. I use Grabber Green engine paint. It's available at your local auto parts store. That may be what you meant by saying engine paint. The engines themselves were not painted. At least I've never seen one that was.

DPI

Threads
Thanks, but everything looks better in picture form haha. I use Grabber Green engine paint. It's available at your local auto parts store. That may be what you meant by saying engine paint. The engines themselves were not painted. At least I've never seen one that was.

Sorry, I meant deck paint. I saw grabber green in the auto zone by me. Going by the color on the cap, it looked different so I figured I would ask all of you what you used.

BTW, I ordered the Stens piston, part #515-510 from a supplier in IL. It is $30 shipped so it is a lot cheaper than the oem pistons I have seen come up for sale.

Fireman 123

Threads
Grabber is a lighter color, but it is the closest thing to buying overpriced LB paint. However, you may be able to take a paint chip to a place that mixes automotive paints, have it analyzed, and get you an aerosol can of paint made. Good luck.

DPI

Threads
Thanks Fireman! Don't think I will go that crazy, I will get a can of the grabber green from the auto place up the road from me.

DPI

Threads
I just bought a lawn boy mechanic's book and it says that you should only use lawn boy 2 cycle oil, not generic 2 cycle like Sears, etc. Is there that much difference in quality? What are you all using?

Fireman 123

Threads
I just bought a lawn boy mechanic's book and it says that you should only use lawn boy 2 cycle oil, not generic 2 cycle like Sears, etc. Is there that much difference in quality? What are you all using?

Keep in mind, that book is probably 25 years old or more. There may be some OCD Lawnboy owners that say use it, but I just run whatever is handy when I run into Walmart. The LB oil that was on the shelf years ago was an ashless formula. I haven't seen any around my area for a while. The new LB oil is semi synthetic I believe so I'd say it isn't much different than anything else.