Reattaching idler spring.

ragoo43

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, I have a TS242XD. I had to replace the mower belt, everything wet easy except for trying to reattach the idler spring to the eyebolt. The position it is located is very hard to reach to get any kind any kind leverage or pull force without taking the whole deck off. Any tips? Thanks

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I usually use a spring hook tool similar to this; although, I make my own.
1652006370477.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
take the belt back off the left ( non discharge side pulley )
Reattach the tension spring
Pull the entire tension arm to stretch the spring
Slide the belt over the left side spindle pulley
It is much easier done this way
Use a hook similar to what Star has shown and slip it over the tension arm
You can also use a ratchet tie down, some rope or double nut the idler pulley bolt and put a long wrench on the nut to get the leverage you need to stretch the spring

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Depends on the mower and the spring. Some have a 3/8" hole you can put a ratchet or breaker bar in the arm. Sometimes i use a foot long loop of wire with a homemade wood handle to pull a spring. I also use a big pair of vise grips with 10" handle i can pull with 2 hands. I have also used a loop of wire and a long pry bar with a pair of vise grips on it to stop the wire from slididng down. Ratchet strap. Another way is to put the deck belt on all the pulleys but an outer spindle then start the belt on the spindle and use a wrench to turn the nut on top of the spindle to walk the belt on. Best to wear gloves doing this. Lots of ways to put a spring or belt on.

ragoo43

Forum Newbie
Threads
take the belt back off the left ( non discharge side pulley )
Reattach the tension spring
Pull the entire tension arm to stretch the spring
Slide the belt over the left side spindle pulley
It is much easier done this way
Use a hook similar to what Star has shown and slip it over the tension arm
You can also use a ratchet tie down, some rope or double nut the idler pulley bolt and put a long wrench on the nut to get the leverage you need to stretch the spring
Thanks