Rear Wheel Axle Seal on 46 in Husqvarna came out

Gene47

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was mowing a flat lawn this morning, and while doing so, the rear wheel axle seal came out. What would cause this problem? The mower only has 72.6 hours of use.

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Seal is there to keep out dirt & lawn cuttings etc. So you should get that back on there. Is it leaking oil ?

What transaxle does it have, if you say manual 6 speed Dana. That's not so good.

BlakeC

Threads
The Seal is there to keep out dirt & lawn cuttings etc. So you should get that back on there. Is it leaking oil ?

What transaxle does it have, if you say manual 6 speed Dana. That's not so good.

I just had this happen to mine. The seal popped out and there was watery fluid dripping and all over my wheel(smelled like gear lube to me). The guy at a repair shop down the road said it's fine and that the fluid wasn't anything to worry about. He said the gear lube just gets a little watery and that is what escaped? Sounded odd to me, and he didn't sound very confident. He also didn't know what was in it. First he said oil, then grease, then he said we could fill it, but there are no plugs.

It's a YTA22v46.
After finding no way to put anything in it, I just pushed the seal back on and it hasn't popped out in 5 hrs of mowing.

I do want to sell this mower to my friend so I can upgrade to a larger one, but want to be able to tell him it's fine first.

Thoughts?

TIA!

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
First the YTA22V46 does not have a hydrostatic transaxle, it has a General Transmission RS800 CVT.

The seals do fail and the new seals are of a newer design. After the seal is replaced and driving the mower for 30 mins feel the bottom of the transaxle to see if it is getting overly hot. Most time the grease on the wheel will ook worst than it actually is. But if the unit does get overly hot grease it will need grease added.

BlakeC

Threads
First the YTA22V46 does not have a hydrostatic transaxle, it has a General Transmission RS800 CVT.

The seals do fail and the new seals are of a newer design. After the seal is replaced and driving the mower for 30 mins feel the bottom of the transaxle to see if it is getting overly hot. Most time the grease on the wheel will ook worst than it actually is. But if the unit does get overly hot grease it will need grease added.

Thanks for the response!

I did get some new seals just in case. I will probably at least change it then.
So it IS grease, not oil? Where do you add grease? We could not find anywhere to access it. Took the battery box out and didn't see any plugs. With the seal out, there wasn't even any space to force anything in there either.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay I see I can attach the grease adding info plus seal replacement info.

Attachments

• RS800 Adding grease.pdf
    64.9 KB · Views: 127
  • RS800 Axle shaft seal.pdf
    743.7 KB · Views: 79

hjwhite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response!

So it IS grease, not oil? Where do you add grease? We could not find anywhere to access it. Took the battery box out and didn't see any plugs. With the seal out, there wasn't even any space to force anything in there either.
Hi! I have been searching for the replacement seal and have come up empty. If you don't mind, I would appreciate it if you could tell me where you go it. Thanks!

hjwhite

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the response!

If you don't mind, where did you find the seals? I have been searching and have come up empty. Thanks so much!

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The RS800 axle seals are PN GT41857-B. Just Google this part number.