Export thread

Real pain in the Butt

Roy purtell

Roy purtell

This engine has given me trouble for years. Its a Neighbors mower. Iv'e taken the carb off and apart to clean it twice. Both times it runs better for a few months. I'm only buying a few gallons of 87 normal gas at a time. After this time Ive had it with this piece of Shi$. Iv'e ordered a new carb..hope that helps..When it's cold I can start with the elec start in just a few cranks, when it's warm most of the time it won's start with the elec start, I have to pull the cord, then it starts. Can anyone come up with a solution what is wrong with this engine. It's on a toro recycler mower which I love the cut, but hate the engine.

I think I've also found that it starts electrically if the battery is fully charged then if it's been used several times to start engine.

Attachments

wrldtvlr

wrldtvlr

But, but, but, it's "guaranteed to start!"

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Does it have the Automatic Choke (auto-choke) set up? or do you press a primer bulb?

B

bertsmobile1

Toro have all of their service manuals and parts books on line for free
So go there and drop your model number in and get the service manual
It does sound like an auto choke problem
It could also be a fuel supply problem

R

Rivets

Those mowers are noted for your problem. At eight years old it was the first year Toro started using the Loncin engine on their mowers. One of the things I’ve found helps is setting the float level a little rich. Second you most make sure that the idle jet (located under the false idle speed screw) is on plugged even a little. This jet will plug when fuel is allowed to sit ing the carb during the off season.

Roy purtell

Roy purtell

Does it have the Automatic Choke (auto-choke) set up? or do you press a primer bulb?
Auto choke

Roy purtell

Roy purtell

Those mowers are noted for your problem. At eight years old it was the first year Toro started using the Loncin engine on their mowers. One of the things I’ve found helps is setting the float level a little rich. Second you most make sure that the idle jet (located under the false idle speed screw) is on plugged even a little. This jet will plug when fuel is allowed to sit ing the carb during the off season.
How would I make float level a little richer Iv noticed that there’s no inline fuel filter Would there be a filter inside the fuel tank or should I add my own filter

Roy purtell

Roy purtell

Toro have all of their service manuals and parts books on line for free
So go there and drop your model number in and get the service manual
It does sound like an auto choke problem
It could also be a fuel supply problem
Yes I’ve gotten them But don’t answer how to correct a problem According to them there’s never any problems ??

Mower King

Mower King

Is the auto choke an...air vain style or a clock spring style?

Roy purtell

Roy purtell

Is the auto choke an...air vain style or a clock spring style?
clock spring I believe....not really sure of the difference

StarTech

StarTech

Actually the engine uses both bi-metal spring and an air vane.

R

Rivets

Sorry, just looked up your carb, which is one of the first styles with not float adjustment. Did you check that idle jet I talked about? This engine uses the air vane AutoChoke system, so if the choke is not closing, the linkage is screwed up.

Roy purtell

Roy purtell

Sorry, just looked up your carb, which is one of the first styles with not float adjustment. Did you check that idle jet I talked about? This engine uses the air vane AutoChoke system, so if the choke is not closing, the linkage is screwed up.
I’m guessing with the air vane auto choke Even if it were warm or hot from just running the choke would close Would that be right

Roy purtell

Roy purtell

I’ve got a new carburetor on the way

Mower King

Mower King

I’m guessing with the air vane auto choke Even if it were warm or hot from just running the choke would close Would that be right
That's right, the air vane type choke closes the choke when the engine is not running, no matter what the temp....as long as it is functioning the way it's designed and not stuck due to debris or whatever. It opens the choke when the engine starts/runs via air from the flywheel.

R

Rivets

Negative, there is an overriding system which holds the choke open when the engine is warm. I’ll ask one more time, did you check to see if the idle jet was open and how did you check it?

Roy purtell

Roy purtell

Negative, there is an overriding system which holds the choke open when the engine is warm. I’ll ask one more time, did you check to see if the idle jet was open and how did you check it?
no......I'm just going to wait and install a new carb....I'm really tired of playing with this old carb.

StarTech

StarTech

LC1P65FA AUTO CHOKE.JPG

Roy purtell

Roy purtell

Thanks very much Great information I’ll use it when I install new camera

B

bbest

I work on these all of the time. The Recyclers with the Tecumseh engines are the most problematic. I simply replace the carburetor. I have found that about 1/3 of the time, a simple cleaning will not correct the problem. It is more cost effective for me to just replace them. Another thing I have done with my own recycle, I have gone to premium fuel with a dash of stabilizer. Many will argue that running higher octane fuel in a mower is not good and maybe even unneeded, but, it works well for me...

wrldtvlr

wrldtvlr

Another thing I have done with my own recycle, I have gone to premium fuel with a dash of stabilizer. Many will argue that running higher octane fuel in a mower is not good and maybe even unneeded, but, it works well for me...
Around here, premium grade fuel is frequently 100% gas (no ethanol) which helps a lot.

Roy purtell

Roy purtell

This is something I’ve never done I’ll have to try it Thanks

R

Rivets

If you use non-ethanol fuel don’t put it directly into your can. Put a gallon or two into your car first, then fill the can. If you go directly into the can you may get a half gallon of ethanol fuel, as you don’t know what the person before you used. Your car wont know the difference and you have the fuel you want in the can.

Roy purtell

Roy purtell

Ok, Sorry that I haven't replied in weeks...But. I found out why this engine wouldn't start after it was warmed up. the linkage from the muffler spring that opens up the choke when it gets hot, was NOT long enough.....what I did was wrap copper ground wire around the post that this linkage goes up against when it's hot, by doing this the choke doesn't open as wide as it could, only maybe 3/32nd of a inch....but it solved my problem. Engine now restarts after only being shut down for seconds to move a flower pot of whatever.