Export thread

Real I.D. driver license in the USA

Getting time for me to renew my DL, was wondering if anyone has already gotten the (Gold Star) Real ID license yet ?

Appreciate any input. I have read some good & some bad (naturally)..

tom3

tom3

We got the star deal on our renewals, might want to get on a plane later this year or take a cruise. Makes it some easier from what I hear. The gov't already knows everything there is to know about us so that's not an issue I think.

Thanks for your reply. Agree Guvment knows all already.
Here we must supply our SS card, Birth Cert, but renewal is good for 8 years, I like that..

AVB

AVB

Oh well just more stuff to get done; although, I renewed in June. I reckon but I not going through the hassle of trying to just get into an airport. I couldn't even rent a small Piper recently without being stripped searched. I quit flying commercially because the last Eastern airlines pilot stalled the 727 on takeoff, scared the heck out me and I was nervous wreck the rest of the flight. I reckon that what I get for learning to fly and had that seat of pants feel.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I didn't get a renewal notice but knew my license was about to expire. When I arrived at the DMV, I was asked for a bona fide identification papers, such as passport, birth certificate (not a copy), SS card, etc. I asked how I was supposed to know all this, since I never received a renewal notice?

I was told that without those documents I would be unable to board an airplane. WTF? Have there been that many terrorists board airplanes with phony drivers' licenses lately? And, if somebody is going to produce phony drivers' licenses, what's stopping them from putting a fake star on them?

AVB

AVB

I just wondering when they are going to start chipping us like dogs as all those documents can be forged. Then of course someone would figure to hack that too.

A

Andi

I just wondering when they are going to start chipping us like dogs as all those documents can be forged. Then of course someone would figure to hack that too.
If you have an ATM or credit card, you are already chipped. They have about 10,000 data points on the average individual. Smart TV's do not turn "off" they "Hibernate" but the audio and video can be used if they deem it necessary. And if you have Alexa, or Amazon dot? Every word you say in your home is being recorded...JFYI.

AVB

AVB

Yelp I know the credit card chip. I had to recently replace my card because it got scanned at the hospital ER without leaving my wallet. I was getting charges from a window washer in Calif and I in Tenn. I now have RFID protection wallet. I got a very dumb old analog TV. No cell phone of any type. Even I had one I would remove the battery at times to avoid being tracked. No Alexa or Amazon. No Wi-Fi. I even login on the net via TOR. All outgoing emails are encrypted whenever I can do it. Just don't like being spied on.

What I meant by chipping was a physical RFID chip in our bodies.

I didn't get a renewal notice but knew my license was about to expire. When I arrived at the DMV, I was asked for a bona fide identification papers, such as passport, birth certificate (not a copy), SS card, etc. I asked how I was supposed to know all this, since I never received a renewal notice?

I was told that without those documents I would be unable to board an airplane. WTF? Have there been that many terrorists board airplanes with phony drivers' licenses lately? And, if somebody is going to produce phony drivers' licenses, what's stopping them from putting a fake star on them?

I did get a renewal notice, but nothing mentioned at all in it about the paperwork or the Real ID license. Here we have till October to get it. I figured if I'm going to go to get my mugshot anyhow, I may as well take all the papers to get it all done at once.

Only reason I knew this new deal was happening was news on TV. So I looked on the computer to see the latest.

Here they say in time any FDIC banks will require the Real ID as well. I think (maybe in time) this is going to be the way. Since 9/11 things are changing.

If it helps keep things safer, I'm for that. Big brother already knows too much of my biz anyhow. Such is life.

logert gogert

logert gogert

i have no idea what yall talkina bout 0_o

i have no idea what yall talkina bout 0_o

Google up Real ID license for your state, that will explain it best.

And FYI, it is not mandatory, but if you ever fly or have to go into federal bldg, it is.

cpurvis

cpurvis

There's gotta be some other way. What about people who don't drive or are ineligible to have a driver's license? (Too young, can't pass the vision test, etc.?)

I

ILENGINE

There's gotta be some other way. What about people who don't drive or are ineligible to have a driver's license? (Too young, can't pass the vision test, etc.?)
I don't know what state you are in, but my state also issues state ID cards through the same office that issues drivers licenses. So they could still get the real ID without being able to drive.

AVB

AVB

I got to check with my state DL division since this going in effect in Oct 2020. I renewed my DLs in June 2019. Per their website on how to determine if my DL is the Real ID version it is not. Strange that I had to provide all the required documents to even get my first TN DL when I moved here. I got find if they are going issue the Real ID for free or if I got to pay again for the current 8 yr license which just over 7 mo old.

Heck, I know I will need to go to at one least government office as I turn 65 in a few years. I no longer servicing equipment in a nuclear power plants so that isn't there anymore but I would think the government still got my fingerprints on file.

tom3

tom3

When we renewed ours they prorated the cost since my wife's had a couple years to go. I'm surprised you didn't get the star version 7 months ago since this has been in the works for a while.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I see this as just more security theater, accomplishing nothing other than inconveniencing thousands.

I have yet to see anything that can't be counterfeited, ESPECIALLY anything that's used to identify the bearer.

This "Real ID program" passed into law in 2005, but not pushed too hard, it seems. The mrs & I both had to show all this personal ID stuff to get new DL's here when we relocated from Fla to TN in 2006.

They still have the regular Driver license & regular ID cards (here at least), if that is ones' choice. But different states may have different requirements.

When I went in, the mrs came along & brought her papers, her still having 6 years left on her DL, so they just up-graded it to Real ID & cost only $8. as it would cost for any duplicate license.

Now we wait for them to come in the mail. We did get photocopied papers showing we did register.

I have a friend in Ohio that says he can't get his Birth Cert, & they just turned him away. I told him to just renew for regular DL, & he said they still want a Birth Cert.

AVB- You should be able to have them re-do yours as a duplicate, but in Real ID, & should only cost about $8.

Cpurvis- Here at least, I read that under 18 yr olds do not have to be concerned about this. (If what I read is true).

B

bertsmobile1

I see this as just more security theater, accomplishing nothing other than inconveniencing thousands.

I have yet to see anything that can't be counterfeited, ESPECIALLY anything that's used to identify the bearer.

The plastic cards we have been using in NSW for the last 35 years can not be couterfitted.
Lots of people breaking rocks who have tried.
The only way they could be done was by breaking into the registration office & stealing the blank cards.
And again lots of rock breakers who tried that method as well.
In fact they are substantially more secure than just about every credit card
The technology would by now be out of patient so USA has probably copied it because for some strange reason no one in the USA will pay license fees for anything unless it was invented in the USA.
You lot had to use points for 30 years because only Honda would fit the Hall Effect timing chips.

On top of that the actual card has an imprinted ( on a chip ) and printed card number , Every person with a license has a customer number ( not printed on the card ) and also an actual license number.

Mr Plod has a card reader that accesses all 3 databases and unless everything lines up you get a nights free accomodation at the nearest lock up.
On top of that every plod mobile has a camera fitted behind the grill & in the boot so even before you have stopped they know who you should be, who owns the vehicle, where it is garaged , a full offense history of both the car & the registered user, the registered users criminal record, if they have a gun license , if they have any outstanding fines- warrants or have outstanding tax or child support payments.
If that is not enough it can do the same for every person who is on file as having been booked driving that vehicle and the same for everyone who in on file as living at the same address.

I go riding with one of the techs who did some of the system, takes 35 micro seconds & if the officer is suspicious he can print out your photo before he leaves the car.
Right now they are trying to get email addresses for all customers and when that is complete the system will also check every one who uses that as well.

It caused a lot of problems for domestic delivery companies as less than 1/2 the drivers had a valid license.
When your points were up, you just swapped vans with some one else and told the cop your license was at home.
Can't do that any more.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

When were the first new style ignition could used,/ eliminating points &condenser

cpurvis

cpurvis

Our new $100 bills were touted as 'cannot be counterfeited', too.

It didn't take long for that to be proven wrong.

B

bertsmobile1

When were the first new style ignition could used,/ eliminating points &condenser
1962 they became available to Joe Public
Atom who were Husqvarna agents sold rights to Husqvarna back in 1959

AVB

AVB

The same with the new plastic bills overseas. They said to indestructible but just replaced a lot them due damage. :LOL:

R

Rivets

They started eliminating points and condensers in the early to mid 70’s, depending on the manufacturers.

B

bertsmobile1

They must have dumped all the old points ones down here ( not an uncommon practice )
Can't remember anything out of the USA with EI till well into the 80's.
Then again it was rare to see any USA built engine apart from Wisconstan ( horizontal ) or Tecumseh & Briggs

The Real ID license is NOT mandatory. It is just for those that Fly & /or go into Federal Bldgs a lot.

Maybe this link below can answer some questions.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-frequently-asked-questions