Export thread

Ransomes 728D Or Jacobsen UJoint

T

Tater50

I need a PTO ujoint for my Ransomes 728D. According to Jacobsen, the part number is 554663, I did a search & found several PDF's to show the part number but cannot find the actual part. Any ideas or any cross reference numbers.

T

Tater50

I did a search & can find many Jacobsen PDF's with the part number 554663 but when I search on Ebay, etc w/that part number I cannot find the part. That is the problem.
Thanks Mark

T

Tater50

I found one on Jacobsen parts; well over $140. HMM!!!

StarTech

StarTech

Measure the diameter of bearing cup and length of the cross with the cups installed. Most likely metric specs. I think this the same as the Kubota ones I installed last year but the spec will help finding an after market one.

More accurately the how you measure u-joints locks.

Measuring inside locks is a little different that outside locks. You measure from the outer side of the lock ring groove side to side. This gives you the width of the joint lock. You still need to measure the overall width of the joint to make sure it is compatible with the bolt-on yoke.

T

Tater50

Measure the diameter of bearing cup and length of the cross with the cups installed. Most likely metric specs. I think this the same as the Kubota ones I installed last year but the spec will help finding an after market one.

More accurately the how you measure u-joints locks.

Measuring inside locks is a little different that outside locks. You measure from the outer side of the lock ring groove side to side. This gives you the width of the joint lock. You still need to measure the overall width of the joint to make sure it is compatible with the bolt-on yoke.
I was hoping to find the product before disassembly but I guess I will have to proceed. Thanks for the advice.

M

mechanic mark

I just googled part # 554663 & this came up. I would take measurements of your old u-joint then pull up a Spicer, Moog, etc. & see if you can find measurements. Spicer may manufacture the size you need.

T

Tater50

Thanks Mark; I have sent MOOG, Spicer & several others the Jacobsen Part number to see if they can help. Probably will not get an answer till Tues or Wed
I just googled part # 554663 & this came up. I would take measurements of your old u-joint then pull up a Spicer, Moog, etc. & see if you can find measurements. Spicer may manufacture the size you need.

M

mechanic mark

Thanks Mark; I have sent MOOG, Spicer & several others the Jacobsen Part number to see if they can help. Probably will not get an answer till Tues or Wed
Thanks for responding, please keep us informed, thanks Tater50, Mark

Charles 728

Charles 728

I had a new PTO shaft built for my Ransomes 728 mower and the components are manufactured by Weasler . The u-joint
used is Part # 200-0600 which is a "6" series u-joint . They are available from any power train supplier .

T

Tater50

Thanks for the info. I contacted Jacobsen @ several locations & finally got a $185.00 answer. I cannot afford that; so your info is appreciated. Noticed you have a 728; I had to remove Steering cylinder; is there a sequence to bleed the hydro after reinstallation?
I had a new PTO shaft built for my Ransomes 728 mower and the components are manufactured by Weasler . The u-joint
used is Part # 200-0600 which is a "6" series u-joint . They are available from any power train supply

Charles 728

Charles 728

Thanks for the info. I contacted Jacobsen @ several locations & finally got a $185.00 answer. I cannot afford that; so your info is appreciated. Noticed you have a 728; I had to remove Steering cylinder; is there a sequence to bleed the hydro after reinstallation?
Not that I'm aware of . I assume one would just cycle the steering lock to lock with the wheels raised to purge any air , then recheck the fluid level in the tank .
I've changed hydraulic filters with no problems as far as bleeding .

T

Tater50

Not that I'm aware of . I assume one would just cycle the steering lock to lock with the wheels raised to purge any air , then recheck the fluid level in the tank .
I've changed hydraulic filters with no problems as far as bleeding Thanks