Questions on 13AM bearings, spindles

SageHill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok, so my new-to-me 2016 Yard machine stopped working the second time I started mowing with it. Bought off a friend for $500. Horrible grinding noise when I engaged the PTO. I'm thinking possibly the bearings or spindles maybe? So I have the deck off, belt off (need a new one of those too), and I cannot get the top nuts off the spindles at all. Tried penetrating oil, no go. I'll be buying an impact driver tomorrow. But I'm looking at buying replacement parts at Jack's -$11.28 for bearing? Is that right? Seems kind of high- and I need 2 of them on each side.
Also, the brake puck on the left is not looking good- it's not nicely set in to the pulley, but is smooshed up against the top rim of it, and has worn down quite a bit. Do I have to worry about that?
I'm a newbie at all this, but am really wanting to learn and do all this stuff myself. Just don't know exactly how to troubleshoot it. Any help is *much* appreciated. Thank you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Your spindle bearings are 6204-2RS (20mmX47mmX14mm). Two per spindle. Just Google 6204-2RS bearings and you find them at a much better price. I just installed 6 of them on a customer's ( disclosing selling price but it was definitely lower than the MTD MSRP) matter of fact I sold for a piece than my distributor MTD price.

Just note some after market bearing have very grease in them so they will need to be repacked with Moly wheel bearing grease.

The brake pad assembly should be replaced but you may to bend the new one a little to get proper alignment with the spindle pulley.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The brake pad mis-alignment and rubbing might be the noise. And you can spin each blade with the belt off and listen to the bearings. Should turn smooth and pretty quietly with good bearings. Check the small idler pulleys too. I'd get rid of the blade brake completely.

SageHill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you, you guys are awesome. I finally got back to this project today. Bought an impact driver and got the top nuts off the spindles, having a devil of a time getting the bearings out. Everything is pretty well stuck in there. I've tried angling the pins and hammering, no use. Off to try something else.
One spindle's bearings is pretty rough when spun; the other isn't bad, but I'm thinking if I'm already 3/4 of the way there, I may as well replace them.
Interesting thought about getting rid of the blade brake completely- everything will still work ok with that off?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No.
You will burn the belt on the engine pulley when the blades are turned off.
I use an air hammer
Nut back on the spindle level with the end so you don't mushroom it
then lay into the spindle till it drops
Some times the blade has to come off so I can slip a pipe over the mandrel to support it so I don't beak it off the flange.
Some are less tight than others.

SageHill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well, I ended up 'mushrooming' one. I did put the nut back on it, but it was darned stuck in there. So now I'm on the hunt for a new spindle shaft to pick up before the weekend. Knew I should have bought one when I bought the new bearings.

SageHill

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does anyone have any info on the Service Note MTD has out on the spindle shaft 738-1186a? One site I saw (quickieparts.com) says 753-06348 replaces it. Anyone know why? Can't find any info on MTD site.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Shaft replacement depends if your have a manual or electric PTO. Original shaft 738-1186 is NLA and is replaced by the 738-1186A. Since 738-1186 is NLA you have no choice but to use the 738-1186A or the 753-06348 kit. Forgive the rust strains.

MTD 753-06348 Service Kit-1.png

Last edited: