Question

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Are the Briggs intek engines used on John Deere a better quality than say for the MTD models?

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Might depend on the Intek. Intek pro or industrial I/C are pretty stout engines. Regular Intek is a standard aluminum bore homeowner motor.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Spent some time on Ebay and looks like most of the JD Briggs motors do have cylinder sleeves and I/C specs. And looks like the engine outlasts the transmissions too.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes,
The cranks are forged same as the horizontal shaft engines so are good for several thousand hours.
Most are sleeved
Still have the dud cams & ACR units but you can't have everything.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Are you referring to those 793880 cams that I have to keep two in stock at all times? If so Briggs could stand redesigning those.

Tinkerer200

Threads
"Regular Intek is a standard aluminum bore homeowner motor. "

I have not seen this to be the case. I ended my active repair career rebuilding engines for a wide variety of clients including one commercial shop and at that time I never saw an Intek engine of size for a riding mower with an aluminum bore.

Also note that Intek V Twins did not have the mechanical compression release on the camshaft which caused trouble. I think perhaps now there is a change.

Walt Conner

Last edited:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
"Regular Intek is a standard aluminum bore homeowner motor. "

I have not seen this to be the case. I ended my active repair career rebuilding engines for a wide variety of clients including one commercial shop and at that time I never saw an Intek engine of size for a riding mower with an aluminum bore.

Also note that Intek V Twins did not have the mechanical compression release on the camshaft which caused trouble. I think perhaps now there is a change.

Walt Conner
Me either Tinkerer. The Intek rider engines have always been cast bore. About the only aluminum bore engine now is the push mower and a few intek style horizontal engines.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the info. LOL.. I picked this JD up from a scrap yard, I was just going to use for parts, for $20. Deck included. It runs so well, I'm thinking I'll fix the few things and flip it for $700.

The paint on the floorboard is shot.

I just hooked the jumper back up to it, and it shows only 358 hrs on it. Got me grinning ear to ear about this.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If it has a 28, 31, or 33 series I would do a leak down test for a blown head gasket. They are bad to blow in a way that causes excessive oil usage and don't smoke. The test should be done with the valve cover off as if blown in one way it will be leaking into the push rod galley.