Question about the choke/throttle lever 2005 LT1000

Mower King

Threads
OK, no rain so far this summer, so no new weeds. But I did try today to start up the lawn tractor, started right up, again, no need to spray in any starting fluid. So I'm convinced that the choke was stuck open, and I had freed that up, so now it chokes (closed) in the up position and then releases. So now I'll watch for that, and add spring or clean up if necessary.

Good time for me to do an oil and filter change on it; maybe tomorrow.
That's a good report.....other than no rain ;-(

Cusser

Threads
Well, was only 100F here yesterday, not the 117F Phoenix had....have to wear few clothes...

I still think better instructions/labeling by Craftsman would've helped here.

Mower King

Threads
Well, was only 100F here yesterday, not the 117F Phoenix had....have to wear few clothes...

I still think better instructions/labeling by Craftsman would've helped here.
Sometimes fewer clothes is better......it depends on what the mirror tells you! ;)

Cusser

Threads
I changed the oil yesterday on the Briggs & Stratton 31P677 engine. The oil drain plug is located in a terrible location.
6KrKJBe.jpg

Oil drain tubes are available commercially, like Drainzit, but I would've needed to order that, so had parts to make my own drain tube accessory.
ouvJTtV.jpg

This tube will just be capped and secured for use until next oil change.
ab6ExOg.jpg

yhqpPEO.jpg

The short oil filter is on the opposite side of the engine, and even with oil drained out already, a piece of aluminum foil was needed to direct leakage off the chassis while changing filters.

wrldtvlr

Threads
It's not just B&S. The Kawasaki on my Cadet looks almost the same. I like your solutions. Much better than stuffing the pan with shop rags.

Mower King

Threads
Good job!!

Bob E

Threads
I saved this drain pipe from an old craftsman lawn tractor and keep transplanting it onto my new one. It outlived the Craftsman, an MTD, and I guarantee it will outlive this POS poulan. I've also seen guys use water pipe with an elbow on the end.
Those conjoined throttle and choke levers work fine in the summer, but in winter I find I often want a low idle, and may need a little choke. I bought a universal choke lever within the first week of ownership and never looked back.

IMG_2579.JPG IMG_2577.JPG

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got it, took a better look with "fresh eyes". Cannot on this engine look straight down and see the choke butterfly itself.

Yes, full up position of lever is choked by a steel rod pushing forward, with air amount being decreased so mixture is richer. Once one pulls down the lever to about 60% up, the choke is out of the situation, and the choke bimetallic spring returns the butterfly to be fully open. So thanks for helping me clarify this.

I'll keep an eye on the choke butterfly lever to make sure that it's operating correctly and not hindered by dirt/wear.
Choke butterfly is INSIDE the carb.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I saved this drain pipe from an old craftsman lawn tractor and keep transplanting it onto my new one. It outlived the Craftsman, an MTD, and I guarantee it will outlive this POS poulan. I've also seen guys use water pipe with an elbow on the end.
Those conjoined throttle and choke levers work fine in the summer, but in winter I find I often want a low idle, and may need a little choke. I bought a universal choke lever within the first week of ownership and never looked back.

View attachment 53928 View attachment 53929
Most of these engines are made to operate at full throttle all the time. I know on some you have a mechanical throttle you can idle down the engine. On splash lube engines, not recommended to idle down. So the Harley Davidson low revs, you are doing damage over time.

slomo