Q: adding oil to cylinder before storage

snapper re200

Threads
This past spring, got a nice deal on a very low hrs 2007 RE 200 Snapper with a 13HP Briggs model 21A907 motor.
A good performer so far, and now time to store it.

The manual has typical direction to pour 1 oz oil into the cylinder and turn it over.
The engine sits transverse and has no pull rope, therefore I'd prefer to shoot fogging oil into the cylinder and be done with it. Any problem w/this?

If anyone follows the manual's direction, what trick do you use to get the oil into the cylinder and then turn over the motor?
(Jack up/tilt the mower to add oil, and then turn the drive wheels by hand?) Fogging would save time and trouble, so if no issue will do that instead.

Thanks for your time.

briggs

Threads
This past spring, got a nice deal on a very low hrs 2007 RE 200 Snapper with a 13HP Briggs model 21A907 motor.
A good performer so far, and now time to store it.

The manual has typical direction to pour 1 oz oil into the cylinder and turn it over.
The engine sits transverse and has no pull rope, therefore I'd prefer to shoot fogging oil into the cylinder and be done with it. Any problem w/this?

If anyone follows the manual's direction, what trick do you use to get the oil into the cylinder and then turn over the motor?
(Jack up/tilt the mower to add oil, and then turn the drive wheels by hand?) Fogging would save time and trouble, so if no issue will do that instead.

Thanks for your time.

i have a Squirt bottle i use to put oil in there i take plug out give 10 shoots and roll it over with the plug in but not hooked up then put it away till spring

Last edited:

snapper re200

Threads
i have a Squirt bottle i use to put oil in there i take plug out give 10 shoots and roll it over with the plug in but not hooked up then put it away till spring

Thanks for your reply.

Maybe I'm over-thinking. 1 oz oil to vertical pistons covers the dome and lubes the entire bore when turned over. Oil into this horizontal cylinder lays in the bottom of the bore, and will not lube the entire bore when turned over.

Push mowers are easily tipped vertical to lube the entire bore. Tipping heavier riding mowers 90deg onto their side is more of a trick, therefore I doubt many of you do this(?)

I think it's easier to shoot fogging oil in the bore, and at least as effective as adding oil that lays in the bottom of the bore(?)

-thoughts?