Put tire on rim while on the mower

RayMel1

Threads
I have a 2000 craftsman rider 42" cut.

The tires are old and won't hold air. I've put tubes in the other tires, but the wheel on the right rear is siezed and won't budge off the axel.
I got the tire off the rim (while the rim is still on the tractor) and put a tube in it.

Now I can't seem to get the tire itself all the way back on the rim so I can air it up.

Any help is appreciated.

BTW, I took the other rims off the tractor and had a local tire shop put tube in them, which is what I attempted to do with this one.

TonyPrin

Threads
I'd try to get the tire off with penetrating oil, letting sit for several hours. Also, an extended wrench may help. I keep several pieces of pipe around for these kinds of projects. That strikes me as easier than trying to get the tire on the rim.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So the rim is rusted to the hub?

Did you remove the lug nuts? Hey, had to ask LOL. :p(y)

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get a couple of motorcycle tire irons or a couple really dull large screwdrivers and a small pair of vise grips. Start the tire on at the bottom then clip the vise grips to the bottom edge of the rim then use tire irons to lever the bead over the top of the rim. Vise grips act as a third hand.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If I am reading the post right the OP simply can't the beads to seat so he can air up the tire. I use a racket strap to collaspe the tire center threads to push to the side walls and beads outward in an attempt to get the tires to seat on the rims. Other times bead sealer will help too at times.

Use caution doing this as the tire starts to fill you must start releasing the strap carefully.

Old tire can be a pain to get to seat but new tires can also be a pain at times. Those I put in an inner tube, inflate, sit in the sun. Then in the evening of the next morning remove the tube and install the tire. The tire soften in the sun and the set in place when they cool back down as long the tube is inflated. This pushing the side out so the beads are easier to get to seat when the tire is installed.

catman606

Threads
Get a couple of motorcycle tire irons or a couple really dull large screwdrivers and a small pair of vise grips. Start the tire on at the bottom then clip the vise grips to the bottom edge of the rim then use tire irons to lever the bead over the top of the rim. Vise grips act as a third hand.
This is the correct answer. Use the vice grips like he said and it is pretty easy. Just don't pinch your tube.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can tip the mower over on it's side ( fluid loss warning ) then it is just like changing a tyre on a stand