push mower acting up

wagonburner

Forum Newbie
Threads
just pulled out the mower today it started on first try but died primed bulb did the same thing. started it again and as long as you keep pushing the primer bulb it will stay running but soon as you quit it will die. i have taken the carb off and cleaned it out needle and jets. put back together and it does the same thing even tried without the gas cap on just in case cap vents were clogged. any help would be appeciated.
Thanks
the model # 12ae18ja056 it is a electric start 173cc

jeff

Threads
You have a gunked up carb. Take it off, dissasemble it and soak overnight in distilled white vinegar. After the soak, rinse with water and blow dry, paying particular attention to the orfices and holes. Use a piece of tag wire to insure that all passages are clear. It should then start with one or two pulls.

SeabeeChief

Forum Newbie
Threads
If that doesn't work, remove the tank and clean the fuel inlet screen. It may be partially blocked. There may also be another screen where the fuel line goes into the carb.
keep us posted

Opposed twin

Threads
SeabeeChief said:
If that doesn't work, remove the tank and clean the fuel inlet screen. It may be partially blocked. There may also be another screen where the fuel line goes into the carb.
keep us posted

Thumbs up that should do it

deker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've got this exact same mower with the exact same problem. I've done the following (in order):

- Drigas
- Drain and replace gas
- Pull off/pull apart carb (sure enough, gunked up)
- Disassemble carb and soak in vinegar overnight
- Blow dry with compressed air
- Re-assemble, prime with a little carb cleaner, and start. At this point it ran for a few minutes and then quit.
- Pull off carb again. Realize that the fuel bowl wasn't seated/sealed well.
- Drain carb bowl, disassemble and blow everything out again
- Check for daylight in through the jet (not clogged!)
- Re-assemble with carb bowl properly seated/sealed
- Prime and start

Now, I'm back to the original problem of "won't stay running without constant pumping of the priming bulb". I'm kind of at the end of my experience/wits. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Note: I'm guessing the fuel tank screen isn't gunked up as the flow of fuel from the feed line is very good.

Thanks,
-d

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My guess is that either the main jet in the float bowl bolt is clogged or that the oring where the carb bolts to the head is not sealing properly. New oring needed.

Garacuda

Threads
Had a Lawn Boy do that to me one time. Primer bulb way up on top of handle. I finally found a small crack in the line leading to the carb and replaced it, problem solved.

Now my Craftsman is doing it .......... and the bulb is mounted to the carb.:confused:

Good Luck!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you replace the primer gasket between the air filter base and the carb. If it is cracked, torn or loose you will not get any priming.