Purchased first home, looking for a reliable corded electric mower

petefig59

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Purchased first home, looking for a reliable corded electric mower
I just purchased my first home, yard isn't that big and looking for a good quality corded electric lawn mower. I was thinking of the following models and was looking for any advice.

Kobalt KM 211-06 13 AMP 21 inch, Greenworks MO13B00 13 AMP 21 inch, Ryobi RYAC160 13 AMP 16 inch, Sun Joe MJ403E 13 AMP 17 inch and Black & Decker MM2000 13 AMP 20 inch. I would appreciate any feedback on these or other reliable models.

Thank you.

Pete

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have you ever used a corded electric mower? Frankly they're a royal pain to deal with. You end up using them like a vacuum cleaner because otherwise you end up running over the cord if you try to mow back and forth in rows. At least that's been my experience.

If you want to stick with electric, I'd suggest a cordless one. They've come a long way in recent years.

petefig59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you ever used a corded electric mower? Frankly they're a royal pain to deal with. You end up using them like a vacuum cleaner because otherwise you end up running over the cord if you try to mow back and forth in rows. At least that's been my experience.

If you want to stick with electric, I'd suggest a cordless one. They've come a long way in recent years.

I have used corded electric in past and had no problem with the cord.

MowerMike

Threads
I'd go with the Kobalt. It's pretty much the same mower as the Greenworks, except that you can buy it at Lowe's and it has a better warranty. Just be aware that if you use a 100' long extension cord that it will need to be at least 12 gauge.

petefig59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Mower Mike, appreciate it.

cruzenmike

Threads
Thanks Mower Mike, appreciate it.

Understanding that you want something electric, have you completely disregarded the option of a battery powered mower? They have come a long way and the EGO 56 volt system with the 7.5 Ah battery and rapid charger can pretty much go non-stop with two batteries. It has a 60 minute run time and 60 minute charge time with the above mentioned batteries and charger.

I looked into the battery operated mowers extensively and quite honestly the EGO is the best you can get. If you wanted something durable, you can even get one with a metal or alloy deck.

If you are sticking to your guns and want corded electric, I am sorry, I have no advice.

petefig59

Forum Newbie
Threads
Understanding that you want something electric, have you completely disregarded the option of a battery powered mower? They have come a long way and the EGO 56 volt system with the 7.5 Ah battery and rapid charger can pretty much go non-stop with two batteries. It has a 60 minute run time and 60 minute charge time with the above mentioned batteries and charger.

I looked into the battery operated mowers extensively and quite honestly the EGO is the best you can get. If you wanted something durable, you can even get one with a metal or alloy deck.

If you are sticking to your guns and want corded electric, I am sorry, I have no advice.
Cruzenmike, Thanks for the info, but I prefer the cord and not willing to spend all that money on a mower.

MowerMike

Threads
Cruzenmike, Thanks for the info, but I prefer the cord and not willing to spend all that money on a mower.

You could buy four of those Kobalt corded lawn mowers for the cost of that EGO cordless with an extra battery, and still have money left over to buy a 100' 12 gauge extension cord. Also, you won't have to shell out big bucks again when those batteries go dead. :thumbsup:

petefig59

Forum Newbie
Threads
You could buy four of those Kobalt corded lawn mowers for the cost of that EGO cordless with an extra battery, and still have money left over to buy a 100' 12 gauge extension cord. Also, you won't have to shell out big bucks again when those batteries go dead. :thumbsup:
You got that right. Looks like I will only need a 50 ft extension cord, though

cruzenmike

Threads
Fair enough. Its always easier to spend someone else's money than your own. As for the corded mowers they are not bad. I used one at my grandparents many years ago. It worked fine and certainly kept up with the grass I was cutting. If there weren't people buying them they certainly wouldn't make them. Like I said, if a corded mower is the way to go, then so be it. You can still enjoy the mow if that's your things and your lawn can still look nice and manicured if the blades are kept sharp and you keep the deck clean underneath. Also, get a good extension cord and be sure that you are not overloading whatever circuit you are plugging into.