Purchase new tractor or repair

McBike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there,
I am new to the forum and am looking for some guidance. In 2003 I purchased a new Craftsman 42" LT2000 with a Kohler 17.5 hp Command Pro engine. It is only used to cut my 1/2 + acre of lawn and chop up my leaves in the fall. By my best estimate it has around 1000 hours on it. The deck is rusting out. Everything else is fine. I only get a puff of smoke when the engine is first started. So my question is what is the typical life span of this engine? Is it worth to get another deck given the age and hours on the tractor? A new OEM blank deck is around $350 and a fully loaded deck is around $550. Other than blades, belts, and battery everything is original.
Thanks
Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Most decks can be patched by any reasonable welder a lot cheaper than replacing it.
To prolong the life of decks blow them out on top to remove the accumulated debis which adsorbs moisture and creates rust central

Last edited:

dougand3

Threads
I ripped the Left deck hanger out of my 44" 1989 yr deck (By repeatedly ramming the L side into walls, trees, etc. LOL.) I thought "This may be a good reason to get a small DC welder and learn for small tasks!" Well, I was able to repair with mending plates, big bolts and JB weld.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is the engine a single cylinder Command Pro? If it is it is bullet proof best single cylinder engine ever built. You have to decide what is best for you. What would it cost to repair, as it looks like you already have, compared to price and how long it will last.

OldDiyer

Threads
You also may be able to find a good one used. Check with Craigs List or maybe even some of the bigger repair shops in your area. I'm sure one is out there in good shape just have to start looking.

McBike

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes it is a single cylinder. Since the term bullet proof and best single cylinder ever made was used, it's a keeper. I guess this winter I need to decide on finding a welder or a used deck vs new.
Thanks for the advice
Mike

oldlawnguy

Threads
If you are handy I'd vote for repair. As long as the deck is fully functional, rust is OK looks aside. Also, hopefully you store (shed, garage, etc.) the mower rather than keep outside.

catman606

Threads
Check on Facebook Marketplace for a used deck. I found a 42" deck for my LT1000 for $75 in really good shape. An old deck is thin and hard to weld, and you'll be doing it again in a year or two.

McBike

Forum Newbie
Threads
I guess I'll keep an eye out for a used deck. The current deck has a couple of holes from rust, also the spindles, bearings, and pulleys are all original. I do clean it and is kept in a shed. probably should have kept after the rust better. My first tractor with a Briggs engine threw a rod during its 10th season. Never expected the current tractor to be running great after 18.
Thanks
Mike

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I guess I'll keep an eye out for a used deck. The current deck has a couple of holes from rust, also the spindles, bearings, and pulleys are all original. I do clean it and is kept in a shed. probably should have kept after the rust better. My first tractor with a Briggs engine threw a rod during its 10th season. Never expected the current tractor to be running great after 18.
Thanks
Mike
You won't be dissapointed with your next one then as 5 years is getting close to the design life.
Decks can be welded, I do it all the time
Got some customers with decks near double weight from all of the welding rods