PTO clutch won't disengage! Help

Battlestar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I can use some help.

I have a Simplicity Regent mower, it has a fairly common PTO clutch on it. I removed the clutch to replace the drive belt, then when that was done I reinstalled the clutch, but now the blades run whether the clutch switch is on or off.

What did I do wrong reinstalling the clutch? It seems there isn't enough looseness for the clutch to disengage? DId I tighten the main bolt/nut too much? Is that possible? I know that there are three adjustment bolts on the clutch for adjusting the play, but I don't think those were affected by my removal/reinstallation of the PTO clutch.

I know there is a simple explanation but I'm not seeing it. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Its Me

Threads
get to your PTO switch, start the mower then pull the pig tail off the PTO switch, see if that kills stops the clutch, I have removed a lot of them and even replaced several, that is my first to hear of that, let us know, Joe

Battlestar

Forum Newbie
Threads
I disconnected the electrical harness and the blades & belt still turn/run. Somehow the blade belt pulley on Clutch is mechanically turning with the drive belt. Is it binding somehow?

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it make a grinding noise? If so you probably have a seized bearing and the brake is dragging. Probably need to pull t.d he clufch and check it.

Mower King

Threads
Hello, I can use some help.

I have a Simplicity Regent mower, it has a fairly common PTO clutch on it. I removed the clutch to replace the drive belt, then when that was done I reinstalled the clutch, but now the blades run whether the clutch switch is on or off.

What did I do wrong reinstalling the clutch? It seems there isn't enough looseness for the clutch to disengage? DId I tighten the main bolt/nut too much? Is that possible? I know that there are three adjustment bolts on the clutch for adjusting the play, but I don't think those were affected by my removal/reinstallation of the PTO clutch.

I know there is a simple explanation but I'm not seeing it. Thank you for any help you can give me.
If it was working good before you removed it and now it's not, must have been installed incorrectly.Take it back off and inspect it!On some clutches, when you bolt it on, there is a sleeve with a shoulder on it that the bolt goes through. Make sure that piece is there, it spaces the crank and clutch. If its gone, it could be clamping it all together, acting as one solid piece, spinning the clutch when the eng is running!

Last edited:

Battlestar

Forum Newbie
Threads
No grinding noise but I think you’re right I need to pull the clutch and look at it to see why the blade pulley isn’t moving freely.