Export thread

Pto clutch life

K

Kbota

I have a question for you more experienced guys. I recently bought a Scag Tiger Cat 52" with the Kawasaki FX691V engine. At what engine speed should one engage the pto for maximum clutch life? I've been engaging the clutch at around 30% engine speed! but that almost kills the engine, but I've been told that engaging at high engine speeds results in short clutch lifespan.
What have you fellows learned about this?

Thanks

K

BlazNT

BlazNT

Clutches are cheaper than engines. As per Husqvarna full speed only.

Carscw

Carscw

It is best to engine the pto between 1/2 and 3/4 throttle.

It is better to engage at wide open then at 1/3

Lots of time I will engage wide open. Like when I shut the blades off to cross a bed of rocks. I know better but I still do it.

More important then when to engage the blades is to always mow at full throttle.

Carscw

Carscw

When you engage at full throttle you shock more then just the pto.

Fish

Fish

Only engage at 79/92 throttle.....Anything else will kill your clutch...

BlazNT

BlazNT

See I learn something new everyday.

K

Kbota

I don't understand.... 79/92 ?

Fish

Fish

I don't understand.... 79/92 ?

Neither do I!!! That pesky metric system!!!

Carscw

Carscw

???????????

M

Mad Mackie

I do my Tiger Cub at full throttle, 620 hours so far. I do keep new clutches in my parts stash however! I have put four clutches on my Ingersoll GT since 2004, but two of them were replaced when I was doing snow removal for customers and the 48" snow blower sucked in crap that was left on driveways like bricks, pavers and concrete blocks when the customers assured me that their driveways were clear!!! I no longer do snow removal other than my own driveway!!
I did recently check the Scag clutch for airgap and resistance, both still within spec.

tigercat

tigercat

I engage @ 1/2 throttle so the engine won't sputter.

I have a question, during the summer months when I mow mostly weeds, I mow @ 75% throttle, as I don't care to hear the engine roar as I trim the weed tops. Why would it be bad to mow @ less than full power?

Carscw

Carscw

Every thing on a mower is made to run at full throttle even the engine.

The engine stays cool best at full throttle.