promaster 260H XDZ electrical gremilin with the PTO need help

lyndwood

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / promaster 260H XDZ electrical gremilin with the PTO need help
Hi all , I acquired a pro master 260 XDZ last summer and just love it but this past week it shut down due to a blown main fuse, after replacing the fuse (30amp) I restarted the unit and then engaged the pto and it shut down after about 5 seconds of running. It blew the fuse again so I looked under the control panel and found the purple wire going to the ignition switch had melted part of the plastic 5 blade wire holder and some of the purple wire. I knew I had a short somewhere so I ordered a replacement 5 blade terminal, cut out the burn wire and replaced it and then started looking for a dead short. I looked all over the unit and found no dead shorts, frayed wires etc. it will turn on and run fine till I engage the pto then it blows the same fuse again. I suspected the PTO clutch so I OHM'd it and get 3.7 OHM between the wires? I checked the diode near the clutch coming off the purple wire and it seems to be ok. the hour meter is also not working any longer? So my question is if I cant find a dead short on the exposed wiring but I know its on the pto side of it, what else can I check besides switchs and or relays? I'd hate to buy a clutch if thats not my issue. I do have a spare relay, diode and ignition switch that came with the mower . what do you guys think what would cause a melt down of that wire at the ignition switch?

Attachments

• 20210814_112841.jpg
    20210814_112841.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 3

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unplug the PTO at the mower end and then start the mower & engage the PTO switch.
Nothing happens = problem with the clutch itself
The wires often break or chaff near the clutch .
A bad / broken crimp can also cause wires to overheat.
Some times it is easier to get some one to sit in the seat and work the switches while you get under neath & have a look.
This works really well on a dark night so you can see any sparks
Do not do this in a closed garage .

lyndwood

Forum Newbie
Threads
so it was the clutch and I bought a replacement now my issue is getting the crankshaft bolt off. doesn't seem to be budging, whats the best way to stop the whole engine from turning? I have a 1/2" air impact do you think that will move it, its the original clutch been on there since 2005.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Air impacts usually shift them
If not then stuff some soft rope down the spark plug hole on the cylinder that is coming up on the firing stroke then turn the engine slowly by hand till the rope compresses & stops the piston moving , remember to leave some hanging out so you can remove it .