Problems with compression test.

cdestuck

Threads
I hope I don’t get thrown off for this, but I’m having problems with the compression test, but this is on a four-cylinder motorcycle. I didn’t know where else to ask, but I thought you guys could be a big help.

I bought a compression test kit at Harbor Freight and hooked it up as I should in a while. Turning the engine over with the throttle open. It only reads about 65 pounds for each of the four cylinders. I thought the gauge was faulty and I exchange it Harbor Freight for a new one does exactly the same. How can I only be getting 65 pounds. The engine would never run at that level. The engine does run fine, but I’m just trying to take a test to determine how the cylinders are. Thanks for any help you can give me.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does the engine have compression release, which would account for the low compression

cdestuck

Threads
Does the engine have compression release, which would account for the low compression
Good thought. So I found a video of someone doing a compression test on the same engine as I have. He went through it and made no mention of a compression release. He came out with readings over 100 and the only difference he did is to remove all four spark plugs to do the test. I just took out one at a time when I did mine so tomorrow morning I will replicate his procedure and takeoff four out. I will report back my findings

Mark H_NO

Threads
I've never heard of motorcycles having a compression release. I've worked on a few, but haven't done compression tests on any.

cdestuck

Threads
I've never heard of motorcycles having a compression release. I've worked on a few, but haven't done compression tests on any.
Years back I did have a two cylinder 650 Yamaha had a compression release. It was a manual lever underneath the clutch lever that you would pull in to start the bike. Just more of a manual release.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
I hope I don’t get thrown off for this, but I’m having problems with the compression test, but this is on a four-cylinder motorcycle. I didn’t know where else to ask, but I thought you guys could be a big help.

I bought a compression test kit at Harbor Freight and hooked it up as I should in a while. Turning the engine over with the throttle open. It only reads about 65 pounds for each of the four cylinders. I thought the gauge was faulty and I exchange it Harbor Freight for a new one does exactly the same. How can I only be getting 65 pounds. The engine would never run at that level. The engine does run fine, but I’m just trying to take a test to determine how the cylinders are. Thanks for any help you can give me.
If the engine is starting and running, you have considerably more than 65 psi compression. A healthy 4-stroke will have 110 to 160 psi. There has to be a compression release on camshaft. Try to find detailed engine specs online for compression readings on your bike. Better yet, if there are concerns, do a leak down test to pinpoint problems.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
See this why you should always look up your equipment by the equipment model number. This way you know for sure if a compression release is involved or not. Just can't go at it unknowing what you have in front of you.

woodstover

Threads
Good thought. So I found a video of someone doing a compression test on the same engine as I have. He went through it and made no mention of a compression release. He came out with readings over 100 and the only difference he did is to remove all four spark plugs to do the test. I just took out one at a time when I did mine so tomorrow morning I will replicate his procedure and takeoff four out. I will report back my findings
Yes, remove all spark plugs when doing compression as well as full throttle. The starter is fighting the compression of the other 3 cylinders. You want it spinning as freely as possible for checking compression.