Problem with the speed control

John Seal

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I am looking for help with a problem with the speed control on an MTD Yardman TF4140 that I have just bought. With the engine off, I tried to change the speed control from position 7 to position 1. There was a "clunk" noise and then I was able to move the speed control over the range 1 to 7 with no resistance, I seem to think that there was some spring-like resistance before. Now, with the engine running, there is no drive when the "clutch" is let out. A small metal rod has become detached from something in the speed control lever. It is fix to the lever at one end and has a hook-like shape at the now unattached end. The two photos are taken from the engine compartment looking back under the dashboard. I am holding the hook end of the rod up with a piece of wire. I hope someone out there can help me. The Yardman, although old, was well-maintained. Thanks in advance for any help and advice. John

Attachments

• small DSC_6843[1].jpg
    small DSC_6843[1].jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 11
  • small DSC_6844[1].jpg
    small DSC_6844[1].jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 11

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post Model & Serial Numbers from under seat, thanks, Mark

John Seal

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Mark, the model number was in the original message - MTD Yardman TF4140 - and the serial number is A52 010499. Thanks for your help. John

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you just bought it, take it back to walmart or home depot. Warranty time.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
If you just bought it, take it back to Walmart or Home Depot. Warranty time.
And they will laugh their heads off as it is a 22 yr old machine.

Yardman Lawn tractors | TF 4140 | 13AA473F643 (2000)​

In the images posted one thing is the spring is broken along with a missing shoulder screw.

Now of course the IPL I found may not be the right one but if so there is a tension spring that broken as well. I just never seen this version of a drive speed setup here in the USA.