Pro Turn 460 clumping

pollishpickle

Threads
I have a 2017 Pro Turn 460 and I am not getting a nice cut. It has always seemed to clump the clippings and leaves the yard looking real bad I have sharpened the blades tried raising the deck tried different speeds but nothing seems to work I am only cutting about 3/4 inches off the top I have the deck set at 3 inches. Is there better blades or something I can do to spread the clippings out better

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You can get a little clumping when mowing damp or wet grass.
Is your deck leveled and pitched correctly. Have you checked it and adjusted it, according to the operators manual? Make sure your tire pressure is adjusted before adjusting the deck.
What are the brand and type of blades that you are using?

pollishpickle

Threads
The grass is dry the deck is adjusted right the tire pressure is correct and the Blades are Gravely

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The grass is dry the deck is adjusted right the tire pressure is correct and the Blades are Gravely
Strange! I don’t have that problem with my 160 unless the grass is wet or damp.
Are these the blades that you are using?
Do you side discharge?
I don’t know if the front baffles in your mower are adjustable or not. Mine are not.

Last edited:

pollishpickle

Threads
Those look like the blades I have not changed them just sharpen. I have read that the Exmark blades work better so I think I will try a set of them. They have a notch on them that people say makes them discharge better. My baffles are not adjustable.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Those look like the blades I have not changed them just sharpen. I have read that the Exmark blades work better so I think I will try a set of them. They have a notch on them that people say makes them discharge better. My baffles are not adjustable.
If you try the Exmark style high lifts, you will need to get some 1/4” blade spacers. Put the spacers between the blade and the spindle. Doing this, will keep your cutting height selection where it is now. If you don’t use the spacers, you will have to lower your deck by 1/4”.
Bad Boy high lifts will work. You will still need the spacers.
I’ve been tempted to try the notched high lifts.
Here’s the blade. It will be cheaper than the Exmark OEM blade.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Always worth remembering that every lawn is different and what works on one lawn might not work on yours.
So you might need to experiment with a couple of different blades to find what is right for your grass with your rainfall on your yard .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Always worth remembering that every lawn is different and what works on one lawn might not work on yours.
So you might need to experiment with a couple of different blades to find what is right for your grass with your rainfall on your yard .
So true! Southern grasses are much different than northern. The OEM Gravely blades have a 5/16” offset. They are shaped much like gull wing. To achieve the same effect, you must put a 1/4” spacer between the blade and spindle with a traditional straight blade. My PT160 has welded in baffles on the rear underside of the deck. The front baffles can be removed. I have left mine in. The bottom of the OEM blades are level with the bottom of the front baffles.