prestige 27 hp shuts off

2007Prestige

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2007 prestige. Ran perfectly 2 weeks ago. went to use it two days ago. started right up and shut down a few seconds later. Made several attempts with same result. Changed both plugs. Removed and cleaned carb. Tested fuel shutoff solenoid. works fine. Looked at every wire I can see. No bare wires. What can cause this? Also, how does reverse mowing system work?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post 7 digit model # from frame sticker, include all information from engine sticker or data plate, Fresh gasoline, fresh air (air filter clean)? good spark? good compression? check oil level on dipstick, smell like gasoline? please report findings, thanks Mark
Operators & Parts Manuals posted above, Wiring Schematics also.

Last edited:

2007Prestige

Forum Newbie
Threads
Kohler Engine info - Family:6khxs.7252GC, 725 cc., Model:CV740S, Spec. CV740S-040, serial #:3635200941, Build date:12/18/2006, OEM Product:prestige,EPA category: A

Mower Model: TR/MWR-Prestige 27H SMI 50" KOH PS 4WD, Part # - 2690680, Serial # - 2000723856.

Fresh 91 octane gas, air cleaner cleaned, Spark - assumed good, as mower starts with new plugs - NO SPARK TESTER YET., NO COMPRESSION TEST., OIL full, clean, and no gas odor. Has run all summer, and past 4 years winter, and summer.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Faulty oil pressure switch will cause shutdown a few seconds after start up.

2007Prestige

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you to all that have responded. I will check out the pressure switch. Any further ideas, please don't hesitate to list them.

etbrown4

Threads
Could be lots of things but the carb would be my first suspect. Assume you have fresh gas, a clean inline fuel filter and a clean air filter. Apply a short squirt of starring fluid to the air cleaner, then start. If it runs and then tries to quit, apply another squirt. If you can keep the motor going with small successive squirts, it points to a carb or fuel problem. If so could be time for complete internal carb cleaning or a new carb.

johnny7

Threads
Thank you to all that have responded. I will check out the pressure switch. Any further ideas, please don't hesitate to list them.
I ran into the same thing last summer, bad pressure switch which, when working, will open the solenoid on the carb to allow gas to flow.

Freddie21

Threads
You didn't mention anything about fuel to the carb. I would start at the tank and see if any boogers are blocking the outlet hole. Clean the fuel shut off valve, change the filter and check flow from the pump with the carb side disconnected while you crank the engine. Remove the fuel solenoid and check for a good amount of gas drains out of the carb bowl. Snip the tip off the solenoid for test purposes (or can be left). From here do what ETBROWN said.

jcworks

Threads
I like what etbrown4 said. It starts up....it runs...then it shuts down. It sounds like its burning the fuel in the carb and then quitting. Try the starting fluid just like he said do. Do it several times. If it still dies, I'd say its a carb problem OR fuel line blockage. If the carb checks out get a new inline fuel filter and/or check the gas tank to see if there is any trash blocking the flow.