Preferred Method for changing oil

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You don't get the metal filings out when you drain them either. it settles to the bottom in the back corners. I have suction drained them and then pulled the drain plug and the difference in the amount of oil you don't get out is minimal...

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you change the oil hot immediately after the engine is shut down you do get most of the grindings out.
I have some blocks so the front left wheel is higher.

However nothing will get them all out but just so long as enough come out for you to see them that is all you need because it means a strip down.
If you have a think about it just about every inboard boat engine is sucked
Almost no car engine has the drain plug at the absolute bottom .

TwoRails

Threads
I use a vacuum to suck out the oil, as shown in the attachment. Easy to use and cheap to make. Make sure the hose that goes into the engine is small enough on the OD to reach the bottom of the crank case. The hose going to the vacuum can be larger of course.

I have a cordless, battery operated vacuum so no extension cords are needed if working in the field.

I have a Briggs and Stratton engine this won't work on, though, as I couldn't get a hose to go down far enough. I pulled the dipstick tube and discovered that the opening in the crank case for the dip stick is just barely large enough for the dip stick.

Attachments

• Oil Change With Vacuum.jpg
    Oil Change With Vacuum.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 6

mikehouse

Threads
I run my mowers for a minute to get the oil warm.Then i have small platic bowl and catch the first pouring out then place it onthe ground and leave to do other things.Later,i'll finish by turning the mower to get oil left.No muss,no fuss,no rush.Works fine everytime.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The reason I use the tip over method, as it saves me time. While the oiling is draining I will be sharpening the blade, cleaning the deck, checking belts etc. This time of the year I may be doing a 10 mowers a day, if they are full check overs.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If i am doing annual maint on a push mower i use the extractor to remove the oil. Flip mower on its side remove and sharpen blade. Then i scape the deck and install blade. Flip it upright and change air filter, fuel filter and plug. Lube wheels and linkages, check for loose hardware, add oil and spray it down with wd40 and wipe it down. I don't get 10 a day. That would be nice. I did just have a guy yesterday bring me in a stihl fs38 in parts in a bucket.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Right now we will get an average of 6 units and day, walk behind or tractor drop offs, plus 2-3 times a week we do pickup and delivery. Not all are just check over, which take longer. In two weeks I expect we’ll be 2-3 weeks out. One tractor can reduce the simple ones to nothing for that day. I try to average 5+ a day.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have all the annual maint units done so now i am averaging about 1 to 2 units a day coming in. Usually carb work.