PowerSmart DB8621SR service guide needed

Mothman

Threads
Hi folks,

Got this PowerSmart DB8621SR that I got late 2018 which has failed more times than I care to admit. Found out real soon how horrible their support is and won't make the mistake of buying another one of their products again *rant over*.
The self propel failed on one of the wheels in 2019 (3rd time using it). Replacement parts were sent at the end of 2019 (new wheel that had the teeth completely destroyed and new bearing). It worked again for a week then failed again.
used this with one-wheel drive for all of 2020 and stored it for the winter. Took it out of storage, cleaned it, changed oil etc and fired it up in March 2021, everything worked as it did in 2020, still a one-wheel drive.

Yesterday I fired it up to mow and now it's a no-wheel drive. It's just a regular push mower which would be fine if I had a small patch of grass but for an acre.... I'd rather have one-wheel drive than this!

Took the rear wheels off, teeth in the wheels look fine, gears look fine but I can't see how to take this further apart for inspection. This is where the service guide comes in, if I can find one. Hoping the community can point me in the right direction :) Youtube and web searches have been of no use. Why attempt to repair this POS? Well I have it and when it runs it performs well, so might as well try to fix it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• mower.jpg
    mower.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Don’t know if you have this manual, so I’ve attached it to the end of this post. Service manuals for these cheap units are nonexistent and techs must use past experience as to how to repair them. Parts are available if you do a little web searching. I suspect your problem is a bad drive belt, but could be a bad tranny if belt is in good condition. There is a phone number on the last page of the manual for customers support, but I recommend that if you use it, talking to them like you’re talking to your better half looking for a favor. I’ve found that when dealing with these computer I get better service when I act knowledgeable and wanting to work with them to solve the problem. https://images.homedepot-static.com/catalog/pdfImages/9b/9b7a49f0-8674-4606-8e9b-f55853b6dd90.pdf

Mothman

Threads
Thanks Rivets,
I did find that guide yesterday but it doesn't offer much apart from general maintenance etc. Still good to have though.
What you say is sad but it makes sense. The cost of producing a detailed service manual probably costs more than the mower. If I don't get my new-to-me-but-busted riding mower operational this week I'll call a local shop to see if they can work on the push mower.
Thanks again!