Power loss when electric pto engaged

arch252

Threads
I have an LX279 with 17 hp liquid cooled Kawasaki. Recently when I engage the electric pto the rpm's drop significantly, almost by half, judging by the sound. It's enough to turn the blades and cut, but barely. I ran it for 3 or 4 minutes like that and it suddenly went back up to full rpm's. I took the carb off and cleaned it thoroughly. I've cleaned hundreds of carbs and I'm confident it's clean. I started it and it runs smooth as silk until I engage the pto and the power still drops. Could this be the pto going bad?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
You need to do a quick diagnostic test.
Unplug one spark plug wire and see if it starts,
Then plug it back on, and remove the other side and see if it starts.

arch252

Threads
Okay, I unplugged the left spark plug and it started fine. Switched and unplugged the right and it would almost hit but not start. I've got good spark. Bad plug on the left side?

I've done a leak down test. I tested at 100 psi. Left cylinder dropped to 90 psi, right cylinder dropped to 95 psi.

I'm going to swap the plugs and see what happens

arch252

Threads
Yep, swapped the plugs and it fired on the left cylinder and not the right. Bad plug! Thanks Fish, this isn't the first time you've helped me out!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now if you swapped plugs and it started again on the same side? Or started on the other side?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it does the same thing when you moved plugs to the other side, then your problem is not that.

arch252

Threads
New plugs and problem solved! Full disclosure, I was embarrassingly close to ordering a new PTO. I've worked on small engines for a couple of years now and it never fails that I will overlook the obvious. I get to thinking I am smarter than I am and I convince myself that "it can't be that" or "it must be this" without ruling out the simple stuff first. This is why I won't quit my day job. I appreciate all of you guys who consistently help out others. You guys are awesome.

arch252

Threads
Sorry Fish, didn't see your reply. Yes, I swapped the plugs and it was firing on the side that wasn't firing before.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
OK, I was mis-reading that. Glad it was an easy fix.