Poulan PRK17H42 electrical problem

Cedarman

Forum Newbie
Threads
All of a sudden this tractor won't start. I replaced the battery, solenoid, and ignition switch. I can feel a click in the solenoid when I turn the key, but the engine will not start. Tried jumping across the 2 power poles on the solenoid, but got nothing, not even a spark. No voltage at all to the starter. I am at a loss. Anyone with an idea? Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I hope you didn’t reverse the battery cables??? If you jumped the two large cables on the solenoid and get nothing, I’m guessing one of these is bad. Your cables are dirty or loose, bad battery or bad starter.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
As usual, no mention of cleaning or replacing ground cables. Those heavy black cables do something.

If you feel the solenoid click, you should have 12 volts in the crank position, verify it.

Look at the + battery cable and its connections. Starter is next. You can bench test it just like your original solenoid. Several youtube videos on it. Take a jump pack and a couple wires.

slomo

Born2Mow

Threads
If your battery is in good standing, then your safety interlock system may be thwarting your attempts. Check the seat and blade engagement safety switches.

Cedarman

Forum Newbie
Threads
I hope you didn’t reverse the battery cables??? If you jumped the two large cables on the solenoid and get nothing, I’m guessing one of these is bad. Your cables are dirty or loose, bad battery or bad starter.
After further review with the meter, I found that the cable from the battery to the solenoid was bad. Replaced and we are back in business. This tractor is 20 years old. Now I think I can get another 20 years out of it. Thanks for all the ideas.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Another satisfied customer!!!! Glad to hear she is running.

slomo

Joed756

Threads
You replaced a cable and think you'll get another 20 years out of the machine? Do they make these cables in my size?

Born2Mow

Threads
The truth is, both battery cables were made by the same cable maker. Look for the other cable to take a "nose-dive" within 6 months.

I've taken to making my own cables now.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The truth is, both battery cables were made by the same cable maker. Look for the other cable to take a "nose-dive" within 6 months.

I've taken to making my own cables now.
Most are under sized and cheaply made. Wire size just enough to make it run.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Most are under sized and cheaply made. Wire size just enough to make it run.

slomo
Especially MTDs with their 8 Ga imitation battery cables. Just of aluminum with a thin copper plate. Replaced many of them with 8 ga copper cables.