possible coil problem

chevyred55

Threads
Koler 22.5 hp runs excellent for 15 to 30 minutes then acts like it is starving for fuel,sounds like it is running on one cyclinder.
Does this sound like a coil going bad? Model # cv22s Spec. # 67515 Disp. 624 Serial # 2435502007.Does this engine have two coil/ignition modules?

Thanks for any help

falconerone

Forum Newbie
Threads
hope somebody answers this for you. My kohler ch740 is doing the same thing. Runs for about 30-40 minutes and then the engine bogs down. I've changed all fluids/filters, spark plugs and rebuilt the carb. Don't know if I need to go after the coil or the fuel pump.

chevyred55

Threads
hope somebody answers this for you. My kohler ch740 is doing the same thing. Runs for about 30-40 minutes and then the engine bogs down. I've changed all fluids/filters, spark plugs and rebuilt the carb. Don't know if I need to go after the coil or the fuel pump.

Hope someone has the knowledge to help us both. This think has stumped me and coils for this model are $68 bucks each.
Don't want to spend that much if that is not the problem.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
seeing its a vertical engine the flywheel cover comes off easy. Go to the Kohler web site and they have repair manuals for this engine and will tell you how to test the coils. You will need a multi-volt meter to test the coils.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Check the vent in fuel caps, they should not allow vacuum or pressure to build up in the fuel tanks, but in the event of a rollover, not allow much fuel to leak. When the machine starts bogging down, immediately loosen the cap of the tank on service and see what happens.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Your engine has the SAM Module, and is likely the problem, usually a bad connection....

chevyred55

Threads
Your engine has the SAM Module, and is likely the problem, usually a bad connection....

Is there and easy way to find if bad connection? Does the sam need to be replaced? How do I test the iginition coils/modules?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Look at the keyswitch terminals for corrosion, often the trouble is there.