popped his head up

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
had a mole that came in to the garden the last rain. Made mess of things. Been after him 2 days. Knocked all his runs down, pounded all over the garden with a tamper to make huge noise, and then flooded the area I thought he might be in. He was, popped his head up to take a breath, no more mole.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You can come and take out the six acres of moles here if you are free for next couple of years.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
moles, gophers or voles?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
moles, gophers or voles?
Moles. And they make tunnels all over the place with those shovel front feet. My chickens are getting some of them when they pop their heads up during the day. And I do have field rats too along with o'possums and ground hogs. The possums I relocate to the cities. The ground hogs are just dinner. Field rats I just shot with the .22. Just one of the hazards of living in the countryside but this is worst place I have been for moles.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I tried to get my 4 acres rezoned from residential to agricultural because i was now a mole rancher. They said no. I used to have a decent yard. Moles have destroyed it.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
The damage the one did in 3 or 4 days was pretty bad. I can't imagine a family. In the past when they find the lawn it dies where they push thru the roots. I found this one after a heavy rain when the soil was soft by tamping the tunnels, then seeing what areas he was in the next day. Tamped them again and probed with a metal pole for soft spots that it went in deep. Found two spots that were softer so I flooded one of those areas and it flushed him out. Supposedly they make their burrows 8 - 12" under the ground. I think the water got into his burrow thru the probe holes. That said, being near fields is a nightmare for underground varmints. Some people dig a trench and line it with 3/8th grid wire that lasts a few seasons so they can't dig thru it. My last couple scottish terriers used to catch them but the ones I have now would rather sun themselves and chase cookies.