Poor man's power steering

CLStout

Threads
Not sure if this is the correct forum, but has anyone tried this mod? I tried to install the bearings and thrust washers while I was replacing the drag links and installing new steering spindle bushings. Once I installed the bearings and thrust washers, I couldn't install the e-clips with the washers. That didn't seem safe to me, so I removed the bearings and thrust washers.

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks

Convert

Threads
I made that power steering conversion on my Husqvarna 48-in cut with a 22 horsepower Kawasaki in my case I had to make sure that the washers were in the right place my spindle the vertical part that goes up through the A-frame so to speak with the eclip is on the top underneath that when I drop the spindle down there is a washer there that looks like it's a machined part of the spindle it's actually the washer if you didn't take that off and then you put the bearings on there for the steering that's probably why you can't get the clip in because it's down too low when you take the spindle apart again to check it you should have a washer the bearing a washer you might find another washer from the factory that stuck there with grease if you take that washer off reassemble it I'm sure your eclip will fit one goes on the spindle before the wheel goes on then you have two the bearing and two washers go underneath with the bearing between the two washers and then the top of the spindle with the E clip goes that washer is the larger one which in my case holds the cap on top mine went together the E clip was not a problem if you have a lot of grease in the bearing itself you may need to try compressing it a little bit with some weight on it as a side note I also change the bushings in the wheel itself over to sealed ball bearings the steering I would say is now half the effort to use overall it makes for me a much nicer time of riding the tractor and cutting grass

TOMB

Last edited:

CLStout

Threads
Thanks for the reply. I did locate and remove the washer you're talking about after the first attempt to install the bearings and thrust washers. You're correct, it appeared to be a part of the spindle, but once I got a screwdriver under it, I could remove it. That didn't help, so I just reassembled the spindle with new bushings and greased everything up. I did add 2 washers to the axle behind the wheels, as there was a lot of play in them. Now there's about 1/8" of play, where there was about 3/8" of play. The wheels didn't have play on the axle like a wobble, but the wheels would slide on the axles. With the new bushings, new tires, new drag links and the new steering shaft bushing, it does steer much better. I also bent the spindles enough to bring the camber that I had back to a better alignment.