Poison ivy

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ok I have a customer that has a large bed about 1/2 acre of English ivy that has over the past year has got alot of poison ivy growing. Does any one know or heard of away to kill the poison ivy and not the English ivy?

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Parkmower

Threads
That's a tough one. You could spot spray the poison ivy and hope not to get too much the English.
I'd call Lesco or your area pesticide distributor and see what they recommend.
Do you have a pesticide license? If not they may not sell you anything.
I have a NY license. And around here to apply anything for a customer you have to have a license and registered business.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Talked to my lesco rep. To kill poison ivy with out killing everything else around it he said I would need to paint the weed killer on. I tried to get the customer to understand that if we weed eat it down that it would multiply at a faster rate.
Will be a whole lot cheaper for me to just remove all the ivy and start over then to get out there with a paint brush. I guess I was hoping some one here would know some old timer way to do this

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here in Georgia we can not even have round up on the truck without a pesticide license. Had to take a six hour class and a two hour test

Parkmower

Threads
Carscw said:
Here in Georgia we can not even have round up on the truck without a pesticide license. Had to take a six hour class and a two hour test

In NY the DEC supersedes the EPA and makes you take min thirty hrs classroom and three hr test. Have to get 20 classroom hrs over three years to re-certify. Along with your annual fees and re-cert fees.
I have only turf and ornamental category

Mwh0428

Threads
My boss owns an old farm place and she said that she paints the leaves of the poison ivy and it kills it.

Sent from my iPod touch using LMF

Parkmower

Threads
Mwh0428 said:
My boss owns an old farm place and she said that she paints the leaves of the poison ivy and it kills it.

Sent from my iPod touch using LMF

That is a good method. Time consuming but a good way to not spray everything. I've also used an old dish soap bottle for spot applications.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
For two years now I have worked in this English ivy and have never got any of the poison ivy on me. So his plan was for me to just mow it all down not smart but I did it anyways thought it would be a good test for the snapper sr1642 I just got. Well the snapper did better than I was thinking it would I guess I'll keep it as far as the poison ivy don't ever mow a half acre of the stuff as it will all land on you.

MBTRAC

Threads
I've no experience with poison ivy, but for persistent woody weed infestations like blackberry we'll cut a few of the major lateral branches and tape these freshly cut branches into small plastic/PET bottles containing herbicide so the cut vines sit in the herbicide & suck it through capillary action- sure beats time consuming painting, spot spraying & spray drift, also limits herbicide cost/waste - guess you'd need some good protective gear to try on poison ivy.