Play in transmission, 1st gear when in neutral

chazman113

Forum Newbie
Threads
Recently got a second hand simplcity riding mower, engine under the seat. It works great except when I throw it into the 3rd speed sometimes I have to push the knob back down a bit to get it to engage, sometimes it fights me a little. Also when I put it from forward to neutral half the time it will stay in 1st. I have to push the shifter from forward back to reverse then back up again to get neutral to stick. Looks like the shifter engages a rod to the middle-back of machine (aka under the engine). What kind of problem does this sound like? I don't even know where to start and realize it might not be worth fixing. The only reason I care is it is for a rental house and don't know how "smart" my renters will be (AKA driving it into the side of my house when they think its in neutral).

Thanks in advance!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Unit model numbers would help us a lot.

chazman113

Forum Newbie
Threads
Unit model numbers would help us a lot.

K. Not at the residence til I cut next week. Ill get it then. Kinda fiured it would be a more universal problem for mower transmissions.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Transmissions on mowers, tractors, and Z's are a different breed and unless we know the brand, type and size it is very difficult to diagnosis the problems. Many of the mechanics won't touch them.

chazman113

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did take a pic on my phone before I left, if it helps. From what you've said it sounds like something not worth trying to fix.

simple.jpg

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I'm not saying that it is not wor,th fixing, but t.hat it is not something the average guy should tackle. Looking at your unit which seems to be in good shape, I would get an estimate from a good repair shop and the make a decision on the next step.

chazman113

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not saying that it is not wor,th fixing, but t.hat it is not something the average guy should tackle. Looking at your unit which seems to be in good shape, I would get an estimate from a good repair shop and the make a decision on the next step.

Thanks for the.honesty