Repairs Plastic body repair information?

MannyG

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I have a 16ZT44 mower 1998 vintage. I maintain it myself and have a question about the plastic body.
Does anyone know what plastic is used and is there a good adhesive or glue or epoxy or primer that can fix cracks in this plastic? I have found that Bondo fiberglass resin does not adhere well no matter what preparation I do. Any help would be appreciated as the Dealer wants almost $500 for a new body.
thanks
Manny

enigma-2

Threads
Hi,
I have a 16ZT44 mower 1998 vintage. I maintain it myself and have a question about the plastic body.
Does anyone know what plastic is used and is there a good adhesive or glue or epoxy or primer that can fix cracks in this plastic? I have found that Bondo fiberglass resin does not adhere well no matter what preparation I do. Any help would be appreciated as the Dealer wants almost $500 for a new body.
You would be better off contacting Simplicity directly.
Contact Simplicity

benski

Threads
Failing that, you might try one of the plastic welding (no, I'm not kidding here) machines that are available off the tool trucks like Matco and Snap-On (I'm sure other suppliers as well:wink:). A good source will probably be able to tell you if it'll work or not. I think it will.

enigma-2

Threads
Failing that, you might try one of the plastic welding (no, I'm not kidding here) machines that are available off the tool trucks like Matco and Snap-On (I'm sure other suppliers as well:wink:). A good source will probably be able to tell you if it'll work or not. I think it will.
Interesting. I had never really thought of that before, never tried it.

Looked on Harbor Freight and they run from $15 to $70.
Plastic Welding Equipment and Plastic Welders at Harbor Freight

Looked on YouTube and found several interesting videos on how to do plastic welding. Doesn't look too hard to master.

(Here's a link for a Leister Triac Plastic Welding Kit. They cover some of the essentials, abit drowning in cheesy music).:smile:
Plastic Welding: How to weld plastic with the Leister Triac Plastic Welding Kit - YouTube

I'll need to keep this in mind next time I had a plastic repair. Thanks for posting this.:thumbsup:

slammed

Threads
Interesting. I had never really thought of that before, never tried it.

Looked on Harbor Freight and they run from $15 to $70.
Plastic Welding Equipment and Plastic Welders at Harbor Freight

Looked on YouTube and found several interesting videos on how to do plastic welding. Doesn't look too hard to master.

(Here's a link for a Leister Triac Plastic Welding Kit. They cover some of the essentials, abit drowning in cheesy music).:smile:
Plastic Welding: How to weld plastic with the Leister Triac Plastic Welding Kit - YouTube

I'll need to keep this in mind next time I had a plastic repair. Thanks for posting this.:thumbsup:
This is some neat stuff.