Piston wall scarring, how bad is this? Images

Tommyboyxd

Threads
Hello, new guy here, I'm not sure as to what year snapper I have and that is probably blasphemy here as I have seen some of the awesome restores you guys have done.

I have been searching around on the forum but I have yet to find anything on engine internals. I just bought this mover last week and cut the yard with it one time. I'm recovering from a torn calf muscle so the ol push mower was not an option.

I tried to start her today and she was giving me problems. Then she seized up, so I removed the cylinder cover and found the beautiful scars you see in the photos.

I started removing other parts because this is the first time I have worked on a lawn mower. (I have done extensive work to pre OBD II cars.) But I thought I could get to the back side of the piston from the top. I now realize I was totally wrong.

But what ever it is scaring the cylinder wall is in behind the piston or caught in the piston rings.

How do I remove the piston? Do I have to remove the engine?

I there a online manual?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 29

Tommyboyxd

Threads
After reading on this forum a bit more I found and took pics of the serial numbers.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 14

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You have to remove the engine and remove the oil pan/sump to get to the rod bolts. From the picture I would say the engine is toast. the side of the piston will look like the cylinder walls.

Tommyboyxd

Threads
What would cause this to happen?

Also what are my options on putting a new engine on here?

Like I said, I have worked on cars, swapping out engines, more power arh arh, and what not, so I'm not afraid of Turning a wrench.

Also, it looks like a lot of the restos on here have white engines, did all the 3 series come with white engines?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That engine was built in 1987 and I wouldn't stick a nickel into it. The cause of your problem is dirt ingestion, probably due to poor maintainence. All the oil and dirt in your pics is the reason I say this. I would recommend you search the local repair shops and bone yards to find a replacement engine. I'm sure you can fine a good used one that is in a lot better condition and newer. This manual might help you down the road.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12502267/B&S Service Manuals/01_270962SingleCylinderLHead.pdf

Tommyboyxd

Threads
Rivets, thanks for the PDF!

If I can read it, I can build it.. :)

Tommyboyxd

Threads
Also, I'm trying to find a manaul on my mower. Am I reading the sticker right? Is the model 25063s?

I can't find a manaul, and looking for an engine replacements seems to be difficult.

Like this site I found for 25066, but there is not a listing for 25063?

And was this mower made in 87 like the engine?

Thanks again, I bummed that it doesn't look like I'll be mowing with this mower soon, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Engine failure looks like a cross between dirt ingestion and lack of lubrication failure.