Export thread

piston hitting spark plug

G

Gearhead0101

Hey yall, so before I started mowing today, i tore that Briggs 150cc apart, first thing I did was gap the plug, then I used my torque wrench to put it back in, 15 ft lbs, per instructions in the manual, after I finished mowing I pulled the plug again, checked The gap, but couldn't get the gap tool on. So, I thought the piston may be hitting. Set the engine to TDC, put the plug back in, couldn't even torque it all the way, it's definitely hitting the piston. It's the plug that came with the mower, and I haven't done any internal maintenence. I thought maybe the rod was thrown, but the oil level is good. Anyone know what could cause this? IM SO CONFUSED!

FloGro

FloGro

valves, maby even a slightly bent rod

G

Gearhead0101

valves, maby even a slightly bent rod
What about valves? Bent valve stems?

FloGro

FloGro

could be the valve seat coming out of the head , id just take the head off and start looking around, post a pic and im sure someone will be able to point it out

FloGro

FloGro

what plug are you using? a RJ19LM?

G

Gearhead0101

could be the valve seat coming out of the head , id just take the head off and start looking around, post a pic and im sure someone will be able to point it out
I'm gonna go tinker with it in a sec, pics to come. I'm not sure what the part number on the plug is, but I'll let you know when I get it pulled.

G

Gearhead0101

champion RC12YC

G

Gearhead0101

Here's some pics, not sure if they'll show you what you need.

G

Gearhead0101

Here's the pics

Attachments

T

tomsteve

model# on the engine would help to determine if you are using the right plug.

G

Gearhead0101

model# on the engine would help to determine if you are using the right plug.
It's the right plug.

G

Gearhead0101

I figured it out yall. Spark plug lost the compression washer allowing the plug to screw in too far. Thanks for all the help

Mike88se

Mike88se

I figured it out yall. Spark plug lost the compression washer allowing the plug to screw in too far. Thanks for all the help

Oh ****... the most obvious thing is the easiest to overlook lol.
How did it lose the washer... those are pretty much on there if you know what I mean.

G

Gearhead0101

Oh ****... the most obvious thing is the easiest to overlook lol.
How did it lose the washer... those are pretty much on there if you know what I mean.
yeah your tellin me haha it took four rednecks to figure it out.

FloGro

FloGro

Nice lol, I think the 12yc is the same as NGK's BPR6ES, if your gunna get a new plug get that one , my engines usually run better with the BPR'S

G

Gearhead0101

Nice lol, I think the 12yc is the same as NGK's BPR6ES, if your gunna get a new plug get that one , my engines usually run better with the BPR'S
you wouldn't happen to know of a platinum tip that cross references with the 12yc would you?

Mike88se

Mike88se

:thumbsup: I always feel better about using NGK.
Gearhead I like regular old NGK plugs but if you want plats go to the cross reference site or NGK and find what you need.
Spark plug cross reference

G

Gearhead0101

:thumbsup: I always feel better about using NGK.
Gearhead I like regular old NGK plugs but if you want plats go to the cross reference site or NGK and find what you need.
Spark plug cross reference
awesomeness. Thanks Mike

exotion

exotion

This is going my memory banks.... Compression ring hahahahaha

G

Gearhead0101

This is going my memory banks.... Compression ring hahahahaha
I'm still kinda curious as to how it lost it, but I replaced the plug with a compression ring on the new one and it purrs like a kitten. Gap stays open too :D lol