Picked up a WeedEater One. I was ripped off, dumb me. BUT!!!

jbxtex

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Picked up a WeedEater One. I was ripped off, dumb me. BUT!!!
I picked up a used WE1. It seemed like a good deal for $350. Clean and fired up easily. Did a few mows with no problem (although my old Murray RER out performed hands down).. Then I noticed rear end would "pop" while making turns.. If one real wheel lost traction, it would come to a dead stop. Then the "popping" got worse and worse. To the point it just would not go forward and chatter like crazy --however it went in reverse with no problem. In forward, the "main" chain/drive gear hub would spin, but the drive axle wouldn't. Right in the middle of me mowing mother in law's yard, on top of it all.. Oh man!!! I felt had. I have performed miracles with tools before, so I figured what the heck. I put some rebar sticks in the frame tubes at the rear, and lifted the rear wheels off the ground and put the aforementioned rebar sticks on JackStands.. I took the right side of the rear assembly apart. Lots of parts, bolts to keep track of -so beware. None the less, I found the problem. After dismantling the "hub" on the the main gear I mentioned, i found its actually a limited slip diff, a spider gear if you will. The housing is made of plastic (STUPID!!!). Seems like the previous owner was hot-rodding the thing in high gear while mowing, stressing the aforementioned plastic housing which pushed the pinion gears past their operating tolerances, thus the "popping" sounds and subsequent failure of the limited-slip mechanism. This is part number 532428876 (#10 on the link below). Ordered it from the local outdoor parts shop on monday, and had it on thursday. Had to take out a couple of snap rings, and then tap out the assembly from the brass colored bearing on the left, using a ball ping hammer and bolt.. This is actually what holds up the entire transmission assembly. Which I entirely removed it by disengaging it from a couple of springs.. Almost impossible to work on it while attached to mower. Put everything back in, in reverse order. I wish I was documenting the process, but I was working on it in a desperate and expeditious pace, due to I am facing two HOA deadlines (mine and mother-in-law's) and wife was scoffing at my "bargain." All it all, not that bad and the day was saved. Mower runs like new now.. So, not a total loss. After this, I can work on it blind-folded. These mowers are not for the technically faint of heart. But suits me well for the yards I mow. I can answer any questions in detail however, and take pics of needed.

Lawn Mower Parts, Small Engine Parts & Much More! | PartsTree.com - Briggs, MTD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Husqvarna, Troy-bilt...

Attachments

• 10361326_10152527207829913_381444715606402994_n.jpg
    10361326_10152527207829913_381444715606402994_n.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 68

Normf

Threads
Hi .....I think you are describing exactly what my problem is .....a clacking sound about 2 or 3 "clacks per second but quiet like it should be
do you know of any pictures for delving into this mess ?
My neighbor friend thought it was the chain tensioner idler sprocket and it seemed to help a little when he shortened
the spring ...but not really .
BTW the engine would be hard starting unless It was fully charged...if it didn't start ..I would have to start it with the rope recoil starter .
looking forward to your immediate reply ( (please please ...I'm desperate) and irate!)
thank you ...thank you !
You are luckier than I ......I bought mine brand new over $700 ....2 new rear tires and used used solid rubberthat I had laying
around for the front wheels to replace the bad front ones .
The whole rear end except tires and engine was replaced under warranty because the little rubber friction drive wheel had got a flat spot
(Sears doesn't sell just that part :rolleyes:
waitin anxiously for your reply
Normf

Weedeater One

jbxtex

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do not have any pictures, I didn't want to get my new phone greasy.. That and I was flying by the seat of my pants working on the thing.... Unfortunately.. BUT, let me see if I can give you a overview using a youtube link..

But I must warn you, this is no more than a 3 beer job.. Need to have most of your devices :)

We are having a tropical storm where I am at, so should able to get away with some garage time.

Hang in there, we will get you on the right track and breathe new life into your WE1 (affordably)

Normf

Threads
:rolleyes:
I do not have any pictures, I didn't want to get my new phone greasy.. That and I was flying by the seat of my pants working on the thing.... Unfortunately.. BUT, let me see if I can give you a overview using a youtube link..

But I must warn you, this is no more than a 3 beer job.. Need to have most of your devices :)

We are having a tropical storm where I am at, so should able to get away with some garage time.

Hang in there, we will get you on the right track and breathe new life into your WE1 (affordably)

the poor animal is crippled stops going forward jam it in reverse then wham all the way for fast ward ...jerks and catches
and goes forward again ...for awhile ....then repeat the process goes almost as fast as walking.
ah me !
Norm.

Normf

Threads
Well as time goes by I've taken it completely apart and the rubber "tire" is chewed up and have concluded that all I need is a new part just the rubberized rim
know where I can get a new one?
normf

Normf

Threads
still on it now to put it back together oh boy putting the mower deck on
I've arrived at putting the fron part of deck on .
Now for the back part got a pic of how the raise
and lower part goes on ?
....Please ?
Normf