Export thread

Personal Pace Drive Problem

cruise42

cruise42

Personal Pace model #20334, s/n 316000000.

By end of last season it felt like I was pulling a ton of bricks and grinding rocks when pulling my rear wheel drive Toro backwards. No amount of traction cable adjustment helped.

Finally found time to take drive completely apart ...everything looks tight. Bearings and bushings, and retainers not wallowed out, transmission shaft runs true. Drive pinion teeth on both sides of mower show signs of teeth jumping in and out of mesh. Sprocket teeth (metal) on both drive wheels look good.
Any idea what's going on ?

I've purchased new bearings, sleeves, retainers, transmission and drive belt.

Don't want to put back together until I know what's going on.

Also...would you recommend using Never Seize on blade driver shaft before reassembling ?

M

mechanic mark

Scroll down to your serial number, Service Manual is filled with information.

S

slomo

Think you answered your question. Jumping drive teeth.

Strip it down and clean it. Easy on lubes and anti-seize. Will only attract grit and grime.

https://www.toro.com/en-GB/parts/partdetails/?id=45023

slomo

cruise42

cruise42

Only manual that's listed is Owner's Manual...it came with my mower when it was new. Not any help for my problem.

cruise42

cruise42

Any idea how much force is required to untreated HOC bearing retainer from pivot arm ? I put a 1-1/2" socket & breaker bar over wrench flats on retainer and can't get it to budge. Wrench flats are so thin on retainer I guessing corners will round off even though I using 6 point socket.

cruise42

cruise42

Hey Rivets...any ideas on this ?

R

Rivets

Have you removed the external snap ring?

cruise42

cruise42

Rivets...there is no snap ring.

Model 20334, s/n 316000001

R

Rivets

Check this manual out, page 4-6. Snap ring holds bearing HOC. to the HOC plate. https://www.toro.com/getpub/22446

cruise42

cruise42

My mower was built in 2016...looks like they eliminated snap ring that's show in manual printed in 2013.

R

Rivets

It doesn’t look like the pictures on pages 4-10 to 4-15? Don’t care about the age of the manual, that model has been around since 2009. If it’s that different post a pic please.

cruise42

cruise42

Rivets...components on my mower look like those shown in figure 048 on page 4-10 except there's no snap ring to hold adjusting lever and pivot arm in place on HOC retainer that fits thru hole in HOC side plate.

I'll get you pick of my setup in the morning.

Thx, Bill