Perimeter wire for robotic lawn mower - what type and size?

AndrewC

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Perimeter wire for robotic lawn mower - what type and size?
I just bought two Cub Cadet XR3 robotic lawn mowers at an auction. They're new in box, but unfortunately they didn't come with any perimeter wire. I've done some looking around, and it seems like it's 14 gauge solid wire with a jacket that can be buried outside. Can anyone with experience installing a robotic mower confirm this before I head to the electrical supply store?

We enjoy mowing, but with about 6000 sq.m. (1.5 acres) of lawn to mow, we probably use a jerry can of diesel a week plus several hours of our time. The time could be put into a few hundred other tasks around the farm that ultimately will move us further ahead in life. I hope these mowers work out! Just need to get some perimeter lines in first.

Thanks,
- Andrew.

AndrewC

Forum Newbie
Threads
I called MTD tech support as their warehouse is local. I'd sort of hoped they'd be willing to toss me a roll of wire out a back door after closing, but didn't get that lucky. I did get a helpful agent though who said any solid core wire should be fine. He wasn't sure of the gauge but figured 14ga would be OK. I'll pick some of that up, and try to report back here after I have them set up, in case anyone's wondering how well they work.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is anteanna wire so no great problems with any single core type wire.
The actual gauge will depend upon the length
Some where is the specifications is the maximum resistance for the wire so you have to multiply the resistance per yard by the length of the wire to get the total load
Lower load is fine but higher ones will burn out the control box