Peerless 2000-006A

The Push mower

Threads
Hello LawnWorld. My mower completely stopped pulling; no forward no reverse. Engine Pulley is spinning and I have verified the engage rod is engaged. Seems the hydraulic pump has failed possibly/probably? This is on a 2004 Poulan Pro 42" Rider.

Anyone have information on how to check the hydraulic pump or other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First thing does it roll
Second what if anything was the last thing you did to the mower & when did you do it
Next does the mower wheels spin if you sit it on axel stands
Is the drive belt tight their are a lot of other idler pulleys that all have to be is good condition for the tranny to drive

It is rare for a tranny to work fine one day then otall quit the next.
They slowly wear down and yell & scream at you that they have had enough for a long while before they pack it in completel

Check that the belt is actually on the pulley and not between the pulley & fan
While it is up on stands see if you can see the input shaft rotating as the pulleys have been known to strip out the splines so they turn free on the shaft

The Push mower

Threads
Thanks for the reply Bert. Here is what I can tell you.

If disengaged it rolls fine.

Last thing I did was mow the lawn (worked fine), shut off then pushed mower (I did not disengage) dragging tires through grass about 30 feet. Week later fired her up and she won't budge (forward or reverse).

Drive belt was good and in the groove.

Input shaft was spinning with the transmission drive pulley.

Wasn't making any crazy noises.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am at a bit of a loss right now
Your symptoms & answers to the questions lead towards a stripped input pulley

However you still have not answered the the quesion "is the belt tight"
With properly tight transmission belt you can rotate the engine by dragging on the transmission belt , key of & plug leads removed .
You also have not done the tests with the rear on stands

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
LTH2000 NO DRV.JPG
Also dragging it may have damage the transmission to hydro disengagement coupling. Do not disconnect the hydro from the transmission unless you have the alignment jig or have made one yourself. Critical alignment.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
The coupling between the hydro unit and the differential is a pretty skimpy looking sliding sleeve. That would be what I'd first suspect. This can be replaced but when splitting the case, it's glued/sealed pretty good, getting it resealed is tough. I'd double check all of the above before getting inside it. Pretty well built transmission but that coupling got my attention.

Peerless hydro 2000.jpg

The Push mower

Threads
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Some more info I just remembered, it was having problems on low-grade hills and the tires were not slipping either before it finally quit. Not heard any really bad gear grinding noises from the trans or the mower. I removed the pump and spun the axles in the same direction and the input shaft spun normally in both directions. Spinning one axle resulted in smooth rotation of the opposite axle in opposite direction with no unusual noises. Sure seems problem is related to the pump.

Alignment Jig...note taken. What does this thing look like?TY

Support Right to Repair bill.

Last edited: