PE225 strokin sound, but it's the coil?

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got'r all tuned up running great. Called customer to let him know it's ready. An hour later, decided to edge the front of the shop. Started and ran great for a few minutes, then suddenly, it sounded like the carb was out of adjustment. Like the H was wide open, to the point it was "strokin," But nothing I would change, both high and low would make it stop. It would make it die. It would start easy. And idle like a little doll. But give it throttle, and it almost (not exactly) sound like it was bogging down like a dirty carb, or one out of adjustment.

So I put it down for a few minutes to find another plug. That didn't help. In fact, it wouldn't even start with the new plug or the old, now. Did a spark test and no spark.

So, for future reference, I suppose this is what an echo sounds like when the coil is going bad.

Compression it good, even with the little bit of scoring that's starting to go on in the cylinder. I've never had a coil start going out and act like that for at least 5 minutes.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The stroking sound is the rev limited going belly up in the module. That will hit every other revolution to limit rpm but will have a 4 stroke sound when failing. Also can shutdown on trigger pull. And in some cases will act like running out of gas but the entire fuel system has been replaced, Nothing like trying to diagnose a faulty ignition module and never loose spark.

And in some cases will even emulate a sheared flywheel key.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
The stroking sound is the rev limited going belly up in the module. That will hit every other revolution to limit rpm but will have a 4 stroke sound when failing. Also can shutdown on trigger pull. And in some cases will act like running out of gas but the entire fuel system has been replaced, Nothing like trying to diagnose a faulty ignition module and never loose spark.

And in some cases will even emulate a sheared flywheel key.

LMAO.. I checked to see if the tank had fuel in it. Twice.

You're right about the trigger pull. I died on me a couple of times when I did that. But would always start right back up and idle just fine. It wouldn't have been so bad had I not already called the customer and told them that it was ready.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Must be little gremlins that hide out until you call the customer, then out they come!
LoL.

Customer came and picked up his craftsman mower, just after this. About an hour later he calls me on the phone. Seeing who it was before I answered it, I was like "Oh crap, not another one."
He called just to tell me it was working better than ever. What a relief.