Oregon 82-406 Spindles

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Heads up to those that might buy these to replace CC (MTD) 918-04426 spindles. They don't come with grease zerks. Oregon claims the tapered bearing don't need regular greasing. I disagree with this especially when the customer is commercially using the mower. I am returning 5 of them and replacing with Stens 285-107 spindles, Near the same cost as the MTD ones but do have mounting screws included.

Now these Oregon spindles are fine if you have spindle shafts that are drilled for greasing the bearings but my customer's mower does not.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The bearings are indeed tapered roller bearings so, the spindles do need grease fittings.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Cub uses to grease via the spindle shaft
JD mostly grease via the housing
Toro seem to be all over the place

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Cub uses to grease via the spindle shaft
JD mostly grease via the housing
Toro seem to be all over the place
Hate to disagree here but the Cub Cadet 17AI3AGJ710 that I just got through does not grease via the spindle shafts. So not all CC grease via the spindle shaft.
1652230593772.png

OkieVet

Forum Newbie
Threads
If the Oregon 82-406 Spindles were fine other than the lack of zerks, did you consider drilling them and installing either press-in, self tapping or tapping for zerks?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes those were considered but I didn't for a few reasons. One was I had to disassemble the spindle to insure more metal filings were left behind; possibly damaging the seals. Second they were brand new and the manufacture should had done it in the first place. Third, their warranty will not covered modified housings.

I do insist on my vendors supplying the correct parts as I don't have the time to screw around with them.

It like me working on the Z930M in the shop now. It has the Littelfuse ignition switch with a MP280 socket (flat pins) . I probably will have to buy the switch from JD as Littelfuse don't even show a spec sheet this style switch instead they provide a spec sheet on one using Deutsch-type socket (round pins).