Opinions on Scag Patriot for 2 acre homeowner

JPE

Threads
Thanks for all the comments on towing and attachments. From the high corner of my lot to the low corner of my lot is a 2.75% grade. Apart from the drainage ditch parallel to the road there just isn’t much in the way of up or down in the land. I figure as long as I’m using good equipment and staying within the limits set by Scag I should be OK. Having said that, I’ve seen more than a few videos of people that have torn the hitch mounting area of their ZTR. And sadly their usual comment is to “beef up the read bumper area where the hitch mounts”. :thumbdown: If they’re pulling too much of a load for the machine their answer shouldn’t be to try and mount. I assume the engineers that design these ZTRs would make that hitch mounting area the weak link so that it fails before the hydros fail or the mower slides into a copse of trees or flips over. But even so extended time near the limit isn’t good either.

JPE

Threads
Thanks for all the advice. I went by the closer dealer today at lunch - liked them a lot. I talked to the mechanic and then the owner. Turns out they just had a 2018 TC II with 180 hours on it traded in by a commercial mower who trades in every year. I test rode it - started and rode perfectly and the deck was in great shape. I won't have a two-toned seat, but for less than the price of a new Patriot I get a 1 year old TC II. :biggrin: They're going to change the oil, grease it, and put on new blades this afternoon. I'll post some pictures later this week when it's delivered. Once again, thanks for all the help and advice! :thumbsup:

JPE

Threads
Just got it delivered! I can't wait to get out there with it and get the lawn mowed - the lawn doesn't really need it but it just seems like the thing to do. :laughing:

IMG_4676.jpg IMG_6540.jpg

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Congratulations. It looks sweet !

JPE

Threads
Congratulations. It looks sweet !

I mowed the back acre and it was sweet! Fast, comfy, and did a fine job even if most of the grass wasn't very tall yet. And using the PB-580 to blow it off after I was done was quick and easy - thanks for the advice to get a backpack blower.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Glad to hear.

The PB 580 is a good choice for a homeowner. I've run side-by-side with one and it gets the job done. Good balance of air flow and MPH and not too annoying to listen too. Never tried one on but Echo does a good job with comfort and ergonomics in general.

Did you see the new Echo PB8010 blower? I picked one up last fall and it's amazingly powerful! About twice the air volume as yours. I've got 110 hours on it already (I added an hour meter).

JPE

Threads
Yeah, I saw the PB-8010 at the dealer when I bought the mower. It wasn’t as big or as heavy as I thought it would be but I just couldn’t justify the step up in price for the 580. Not that it isn’t worth the price difference, but for me as a homeowner the 580 does everything I need. And years ago I used to have a handheld gas blower so any backpack is a huge step up. I’ll be using the SRM-225 tomorrow morning to clean up the trees and fence but I expect it’ll be similar to the 580 vs 8010 - not as fast or powerful but certainly good enough for me to get the job done.

JPE

Threads
I should have said the SRM-225 compared to one of the X series trimmers is like the 580 vs. the 8010.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I actually wouldn't recommend the 8010 for a homeowner unless they have a large property with lots of trees, are already half deaf and are large and strong.

It's great for bulk debris but the air stream is so wide that it can scatter debris to areas you've already cleaned. Control issues basically. And it's loud as hell with a raspy tone, very thirsty, the tube is heavy/tiring to use and trying to keep up with it can be exhausting. You need to move quickly to use all of its power basically.

But for a pro like me the ability to move large amounts of leaves and sticks in all conditions, blast out under my truck and trailer quickly and to clear hard surfaces from 30 feet away is worth it. I've actually done cleanups in the rain with an umbella duct taped to mine, lol.

JMaldaner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to the OP for this thread! I've read all seven pages and found the discussion robust and very informative. I am in a similar situation, or will be in a couple of years after we pay off a Kubota tractor. In my situation, the lawn and garden shop where I have gotten excellent service on my current mower, although it is a brand they do not stock, is a Scag dealer. I was really hoping to be able to do business with this dealer when it was time to buy a new ZTR, and based on this thread it looks like I would be well-served with a Scag!