Operation double decker

ybelikeu

Forum Newbie
Threads
The hitch that I had thought up in my head was the kind that you put on the front of a car when you wish to pull it behind a camper or a truck. This way i could rack the hitch back or remove it to use the slave mower as a regular mower. If I attempted to make the tow bar part of the steering it would be alot more involved as far as installation and removal. I will post some pictures of my contraption that I took after my first prototype run. Thanks for all your help.

ybelikeu

Forum Newbie
Threads
I will try to get better pictures of this when I get back. This is what i have for now.

Attachments

• mowers.JPG
    mowers.JPG
    32.9 KB · Views: 34

mullins87

Threads
The hitch that I had thought up in my head was the kind that you put on the front of a car when you wish to pull it behind a camper or a truck. This way i could rack the hitch back or remove it to use the slave mower as a regular mower. If I attempted to make the tow bar part of the steering it would be alot more involved as far as installation and removal. I will post some pictures of my contraption that I took after my first prototype run. Thanks for all your help.

Well, kinda more involved. I can see from your picture that apparently you can weld. I would build a hitch that bolts onto the back of the tow mower that moves the hitch to a point in front of the slave mower, but build it so that you can remove it with little trouble.

As far as the tow bar, I'd mount a stud to the slave mower to act as the pivot point and use a pull pin to remove it. Then I'd do the same on the drag link where it attaches to a steering knuckle. I think you're okay with your idea, you will just need to work out a few details to make it work well.

ybelikeu

Forum Newbie
Threads
None of my hitch is welded. I do have a drill press and used it to drill through all the pieces of angle iron. Then I bolted everything together. I used three mounting points on my slave mower. All of these points where pre-existing bolts. It only takes about five minutes to convert my red mower to and from slave mode. The convertion is neccasary for storage. It is also nice to have a spare mower in case one breaks. Both of my mowers are older and I have had things break. I will try to get some better pictures when I get back home.

dhellinga

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wow! you guys are good!:thumbsup: Any chance you could help me design a better exhaust(quieter) for my Craftsman 22 hp briggs v twin? The factory setup is too loud.

mullins87

Threads
Wow! you guys are good!:thumbsup: Any chance you could help me design a better exhaust(quieter) for my Craftsman 22 hp briggs v twin? The factory setup is too loud.

Sorry, I've been working on that one myself. But without a tubing bender, and my being too cheap to have a shop do it, I'm outta luck for now. However, I think you'd be surprised how much noise is coming from the engine itself and not the exhaust.

Dangeroustoys56

Threads
On an offroad tractor forum im in - a guy used two small mufflers on his tractor - he routed them under the tractor and out the back( no deck)- im not sure if they were dirt bike or ATV types.

Id say best bet is see what a muffler shop could come up with - have to be small and come out the front - probably have to do like a cross pattern- left to the right, right to the left to make em fit under the hood, custom motor adapters and point out the front or side. Take a look on a couple racing lawntractor sites about some wild exhausts and ideas how to make it work.

i plan on taking a tractor to one ( once im done building it - some year) and have em put a custom set of side pipes on it- itll probably cost alot, but should look cool.

dhellinga

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Dangeroustoys. I was thinking I should probably do something like that. There's a motorcycle/ snowmobile shop nearby. I think that's where I'll start.