Onan P218G, never used

arch252

Threads
I know someone who has an Onan P218G still in the crate. It's been stored in his shop for 15-20 years. It's never been started, never been mounted, still in the crate. I have a 1987 JD 318 with a P218 so I have a general idea of pricing for used engines and parts but I have no idea how to value one that's still in the crate. He is interested in selling. Any ideas on the value?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes I know that this may sound stupid, but I wouldn’t pay a more than $500.00. Yes but there are a couple of red flags for me. One, it’s been sitting a hot environment for 20 years. It would surprise me if the oil seals are dried out and it will leak once you have it installed. Same issue with the carb and fuel pump. I don’t know which carb is installed on that engine, but if it has a diaphragm I would be replacing it before installing. Those engines came with and without fuel pump, again is it mechanical with diaphragm? That being said, I’ve worked on dozens of those engines on Toros, construction equipment and RV generator set and have found them to be extremely reliable and I would purchase it in a heart beat if I had someone looking for one. Personally I would say you have a 75% chance that this could be a steal.

arch252

Threads
No doubt whoever ends up with it would be wise to go ahead and purchase a complete engine gasket and seal kit. And while his shop is moderately climate controlled we are in Alabama so you can't avoid the heat. He is going to bring it to me to look over so I can put a camera in it and check for rust or any other obvious problems.

arch252

Threads
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm happy with the engine on my 318 so I'm not swapping. I was going to try to help connect him with the right person to buy it. I was trying to determine a value for an unused Onan P218.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In that case you are going to have to decide how long you want to hold on to it. If my memory is any good I believe that when they were being built the cost new was &1300.00-$1500.00. If you found someone who really needs one, you could that today. If you want to get it out of the way, I’d take the first $600.00 offered.