Older briggs 16 hp has spark but will not start

Before you tear it apart, go ahead and run a compression test and see what turns up. Even if the valves are moving, they may not be seating. If it was running before it was stored in the barn, it should still run. I'm amazed that it gets fire after that long. It could be that it's still flooding out from the original cause. Pinch the fuel line off and drain the carb bowl and see what it looks like. Could be sediments all down in the bowl coming from the tank. Who knows what's in that tank! I've seen bugs and spiders, grass and all kinds of crap, dirt, etc in the fuel tank. Do some diagnosis before you go into disassembly. Let us know what you find out and do first. Good Luck..:thumbsup:
 
Just take a few pics of each side of the whole engine first, that would probably tell me what I need to know, thanks
 
Thanks for all the help. I have the engine running with the help of a local mower shop who happens to be restoring one on these himself. The points were the issue the plunger that opens the points did not work a possible cam shaft issue I am not sure. The mower mechanic suggested a universal ignition module. Installed it and fired right up. Just need to do adjustments on the carb. Thanks again
 
Back
Top