old RZT50 deck belt too short?

RustyBucket

Forum Newbie
Threads
HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY !!! I recently rebuilt the deck on my old RZT50. New spindles, blades, idlers, reinforcement doublers on the spindle openings. Bought a new CubCadet brand deck belt & had a terrible time stretching it on. I had to loosen the nuts on the bar in the front to wrestle the belt on. I can't lower the deck, it seems like the deck is suspended between the bar in the front and the PTO clutch in the back. Mowed 2 acres with it and vibrated pretty bad. Yesterday it flipped the belt off & ate it as soon as I engaged the blades. I Think my mower was made in 2004. I wondered if my early model used a little longer belt. I posted pics of the I.D on the mower and the part# on the belt I bought. Been pretty good machinery for 10+ years, Kawasaki runs good. I've always had a hard time installing deck belt, fighting with the tensioner. Info/suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. I know there's an infinite variety of belt lengths, how much bigger should I go? They ain't cheap... THANKS AGAIN

RustyBucket

Forum Newbie
Threads
lawnmoser..jpg

Attachments

• lawnmobelt.jpg
    lawnmobelt.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 6

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Wrong belt.... The IPL shows it as 754-04044A (Superseded to 954-04044A

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
According to belt measurer here that belt should an 1/2 x 134 belt PN 954-04044A . Check the belt length that you received. Belts are know to wrong one even labelled correctly.

Now note the Cub Cadet website has it listed as A(1/2) x 133 and that 954-4077 is a B(5/8) x 134. They don't interchange as if you going with a 5/8 belt it will need to be about 2" longer

RustyBucket

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Y'all, greatly appreciated info. Only excuse I can offer is that I was distracted by the young redheaded cowgirl working at Tractor Supply. ... or Maybe just old age. I will check the belt width & length carefully this time. A WAY tight belt probably wasn't much good for new deck parts or the clutch.

THANKS againfourth of july.JPG

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The belt will overheat rather quickly and fail.

My current personal mower had to be upgraded to a 5/8 belt after a recent engine change that was simply destroying the 1/2 belt. Mainly because of the HP difference when installed a 21 hp in place of a 16.5 and the extra tall grass that I cut. It took a couple tries to get the right side belt as I had nothing to go on about resizing at the time.

Just couldn't keep replacing the 1/2 OEM belts especially when i went through three of them in less than a month.The first was a little too short and the mower would throw the belt everytime; unless, I engaged the deck fully up. Now with a slightly longer belt I had no problems engaging the belt until last mowing but I think the problem is a mechanical problem. Probably rust.

RustyBucket

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yep...wrong belt, if the pic of the belt is the one you used.....it says fits Lawn Tractors and they are very different from a RZT

so.... a 5/8' X 136" maybe? The 954-04077 I used was 5/8" X 134" ... The IPL specified 954-04044A measures 1/2" X 133"...AN INCH SHORTER than the one I used that was too short. KINDA CORNFUSING

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually if you think about it, it is not. The 5/8" belt is a wider therefore rides higher in the v-pulleys effectively making it to seem too short.

And yes the ipl says 1/2" x 133". the problem is that they left off the fractional amount and as I said the OEM belt here measures 1/2" x 134" on my v-belt measuring tool.