Repairs Old problem with Cub Cadet 2166 w/Kohler CH16 engine PLEASE HELP

gspald

Threads
  • / Old problem with Cub Cadet 2166 w/Kohler CH16 engine PLEASE HELP
:confused2: I have been trying to repair starting/running problem with my Cub 2166 model since last fall. As soon as engine starts I can pull blue wire off starter to disengage starter and as long as I hold switch in start position engine will run. I have already replaced several electrical parts including the old DSAI module with the new DSAI 12-707-01-S module. I believe the only possible items I have not addressed is replaceing the ignition switch (replaced several years ago) and the safety switches. Could someone tell me how to bypass all the safety switches to rule out that problem. If you think the ignition switch may still be a problem please advise. ANY AND ALL SUGGESTIONS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED! :anyone:

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a fuel solenoid on the carb. I would say you are not getting 12 v to the fuel solenoid in the run position. Most likely a key switch problem, but depending on wiring configuration could be a relay or something.

gspald

Threads
If you have a fuel solenoid on the carb. I would say you are not getting 12 v to the fuel solenoid in the run position. Most likely a key switch problem, but depending on wiring configuration could be a relay or something.

Problem is not with fuel solenoid I have already checked and verified solenoid is working properly. I also replaced the ignition switch. I even disconnected the white (kill wire) where it goes to the engine from the main harness. I can start the engine, pull the blue wire going to the starter (to disengage starter) and keep the engine running fine until I release the switch from the start position. PLEASE HELP DESPERATE !! :confused3:

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Problem is not with fuel solenoid I have already checked and verified solenoid is working properly. I also replaced the ignition switch. I even disconnected the white (kill wire) where it goes to the engine from the main harness. I can start the engine, pull the blue wire going to the starter (to disengage starter) and keep the engine running fine until I release the switch from the start position. PLEASE HELP DESPERATE !! :confused3:

So, what ever is connected to the ignition switch on the "S" terminal is what is required to keep the engine running.

When you release the key it goes back to the "R" position. It would seem you need the wire that is on the "S" terminal on the "R" terminal.

That would mean some of the wiring is wrong, shorted ??

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
When you start bypassing switches you will have problems, they are on equipment for reason of SAFETY.

gspald

Threads
So, what ever is connected to the ignition switch on the "S" terminal is what is required to keep the engine running.

When you release the key it goes back to the "R" position. It would seem you need the wire that is on the "S" terminal on the "R" terminal.

That would mean some of the wiring is wrong, shorted ??

The ignition switch is not labeled so I can't tell the "S" terminal from the "R" terminal. I bought my Cub Cadet from Lowes some time over 10 years ago. The mower was a "returned item" Lowes had sent to a local repair shop. That shop is no longer in business. The mower ran fine until the last 2-3years. If my memory is correct, I replaced the ignition switch and the fuel solenoid over two years ago that solved the problem then. Even with all the replacement parts I have installed since last fall I have never changed any wiring except for the new DSAI replacement Kohler 12-707-01-S. I followed the instructions that came with the new part. Nothing I have replaced has made any differance at all. I don't have a clue what was done to the mower when it was sent out for repair when it was new. Guess it may have been some wiring issue then; but, it ran great until these issues started. Can you give me a wiring diagram for the ignition switch and if I get something wrong will it blow a fuse without doing more damage to the mower?

Thank you very much for your help, I sure need it.

gspald

Threads
When you start bypassing switches you will have problems, they are on equipment for reason of SAFETY.

Mark, I am only trying to locate the problem with my mower. I do not intend to leave the safety switches bypassed. Don't want to get hurt!

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Gspald verify that you have 12v at the fuel solenoid in both the start and run positions on the key switch. It sounds like you have power in the start position but not the run position.