Old Murray Lawnmower with the Briggs fuel/carb pulsa prime setup not sucking in fuel

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Old Murray Lawnmower with the Briggs fuel/carb pulsa prime setup not sucking in fuel
Most techs have a tachometer. Older guys have done it so many times they can do it by ear.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Old Murray Lawnmower with the Briggs fuel/carb pulsa prime setup not sucking in fuel
Well, if it's too high your engine will tell you.... lol.
you don't want it screaming,,,
i have a $15 tachometer from Amazon that wraps around the plug wire, i use it to set RPM's.... Occasionally i can get close by ear, but use the tach anyway.

clef

Threads
Hmmm, debating whether or not I want to put more loot into this thing and get a tach. I'll have to start it again tomorrow and see what’s up with that governor lever thing and what happens if I move it. Just want to mow my damn lawn already but it’s been storming and in the high 80s so probably best to be patient here.

clef

Threads
Seems like someone bent a tab down so you can’t move the governor switch thing from fast to slow. Should I leave that as is and bend back the tab a bit that holds the small spring to give a bit more slack or bend up the tab that is preventing the governor switch from moving back and forth and adjust things that way. It just needs to be slightly slower. Guess I am a little confused as it seems like there are a number of points of adjustment with this thing.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Stupid question, have you ever taken 15 minutes to look at and read the section on governors in the manual I posted a while back? It’s obvious that you don’t understand how the go works or how to adjust. At this point I am backing out of this thread, because it is getting to the point where someone could get hurt. Good luck in your endeavors.

clef

Threads
Yea, Section 5, pg 5, no. 4&5 is generally what I’m referring to. Thx for your help.

clef

Threads
Just had the governor springs on backwards. Runs really nice now, throttle not stuck wide open anymore.