Oil rings on Briggs and Stratton 8.5 hp

navydad2022

Threads
If l want to replace my oil rings ,how do l go about ordering them.Would they be standard oil rings. I'm doing them because l have to open the engine and replace oil slinger.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You be opening a can of worms to start with.

• You need the model, type, and date code of the engine to look-up parts.
  • You to mic the cylinder at three levels along with two checks at 90 degrees of each other on each level and inspect the cylinder wall condition.
  • You need a rigid hone for resizing. or a flex if you just want to break the glazing.
  • If resizing is needed then the rigid hone is a must as it removes taper and oval of cylinder which a flex hone just makes worst.
  • If resizing you also need oversized piston and ring set that matches your engine specs.
Just note many of the oversize piston and ring sets are NLA now that Briggs is under new managers.

Tinkerer200

Threads
Plus you are not going to get just oil rings.

navydad2022

Threads
I found the problem,it was the oil slinger that broke apart.waiting on replacement.

navydad2022

Threads
The piston and cylinder look good.no scars or damage 🤞

navydad2022

Threads
Quick question,Do l adjust the governor before l close the engine or after.

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I found the problem,it was the oil slinger that broke apart.waiting on replacement.
When you say oil slinger, I assume you mean the governor, not the rod extended oil slinger on end of rod!

navydad2022

Threads
When you say oil slinger, I assume you mean the governor, not the rod extended oil slinger on end of rod!
Yes, it was all broken up, received new one plus gaskets set and fixing to put everything back .