Oil question

tonyg2k

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi All;

I just bought a Kohler CH440 14 HP motor. Oddly, it came with no oil, and as usual the manufacturer's docs only really talk about Kohler-brand oil. Can I safely use Pennzoil 10w30 SN/SN-Plus, which I have on hand, or do I need to dive 40 miles to find a place that sells Kohler oil :)?

Many thanks in advance for all advice...

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Companies can only suggest that you use their oil, but cannot void a warranty over using what ever oil you decide to use as long as it meets the requirement specs. So Pennz 10w30 is fine.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does this motor have a sleeved bore? Briggs&Stratton calls this an I/C - industrial commercial - engine. If it is sleeved the standard oil is probably ok. I'd still run the Kohler SH/SJ rated oil, or an additive.

tonyg2k

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks all, for the replies (edit). Does indeed have a cast-iron cylinder liner.

Turns our even if I wanted to buy it, Kohler oil is pretty much unobtanium in my area (atlantic canada), so I guess it's kind of a moot point. I'd rather break in the engine with the recommended lubricant, but hey.

Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I remember reading one time that Kohler gets their oil from Warren distribution, which is sold at Wal-Mart under the Super-Tech name. Of course the additive package may be different.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I remember reading one time that Kohler gets their oil from Warren distribution, which is sold at Wal-Mart under the Super-Tech name.
Yup. Engine manufacturers don't make oil. They spec a standard oil made by an oil company and the oil company bottles it. Usually an SJ rated oil with a ZDDP additive package you can't sell for automobile use. Mower brand oil is good but nothing special. Use synthetic if you want but the engine won't care.

decorah

Threads
I have a Ariens grand sierra 2200, new in 1996. I have been using Amsoil 15w40 H D diesel oil in it for the last 20 years and now has 1998 hours on it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I remember reading one time that Kohler gets their oil from Warren distribution, which is sold at Wal-Mart under the Super-Tech name. Of course the additive package may be different.
At one time the dealers were told it was made by Quaker State.

upupandaway

Threads
At one time the dealers were told it was made by Quaker State.
Which is now a Shell product.

Call it anecdotal but one time i bought a trans just for some electronic parts and springs and the seller would only sell the whole trans. Opening it, I found that the plates are all worn out and the previous owner used a purple trans fluid - the purple "super duper" brand. Being this car of mine has about 195K miles(and my other truck has over 200K) and they still shift fine(now with the slight vibration problem fixed) and I have used Pennzoil or Quaker State stuff since i bought it, either they drove like a madman or indeed no oil is much if any better than plain dino oil.