Oil leak

sj44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Took the engine apart for spring cleaning and seemed to put it back together fine. The engine runs better than ever but there's an oil leak. It seemed to come from behind the breather (I think that's the part). I had taken it off and put it back on and thought maybe it didn't get seated enough. Got a new gasket but still leaks. There is also oil in the carburator so oil is coming from somewhere. I had also replace the head gasket but there's no oil leaking there. It''s a BS 5.5 hp lawnmower engine.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Oil in carb may be due to being tipped a certain way allowing oil to go from the breather over to the carb. I just had an engine this spring that was leaking from the lower corner of the breather assy. Breather was warped.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just curious why would you take your engine apart for spring cleaning? It would seem to me better to leave alone, if it isn't broken ? Just how far did you take it apart? Maybe you broke a piston ring?

sj44

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just curious why would you take your engine apart for spring cleaning? It would seem to me better to leave alone, if it isn't broken ? Just how far did you take it apart? Maybe you broke a piston ring?

It actually was running poorly. The engine's power was going up and down. It would almost quit and then rev back up and then repeat. So I cleaned out the carbon inside, replaced the head gasket which looked bad, and a couple of other minor things. Then when I got it back together it worked great. But then the leak showed up. I had taken the breather off and that's where the leak seems to be coming from so I think it might be what the other poster said about it being warped. I had removed it too. Probably didn't need to but I don't know much so I did. I'll get a new one and we'll see. Any other suggestions would help. Thanks.